Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Details Below the poll. Options that I have been considering:

• Total voters

ineedanewmacbook

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2023
I’m looking to buy a new laptop cuz my 2017 MacBook 12” 8/256 is getting pretty slow.

What I basically use now for my work is Outlook, WhatsApp, Safari (usually 10-15 tabs), Notes, Word, Notion, Google Sheets, Preview and Zoom. I use Zoom 3-5h a week only but when I have it+WA+Preview the laptop is overheating and stops responding sometimes. Hence, I was thinking to getting a 16GB RAM.

My storage is almost full, but I’m not planning to move anything from this computer onto the new one and I am not likely store much on the new one. However, I’ve read that M2 256GB models come with single NAND chip which allegedly makes it slower than M1 256GB with double chip meaning if I’m buying the M2 model, I need to get 512GB of storage minimum. Correct me if I’m wrong.

In a year or two, I’m planning to go for a masters degree in Computer Science/Data Analytics and therefore I will need a laptop suitable for big datasets and some coding. I do not play games, use Photoshop or edit 3D images or 4K videos, though being able to edit some 1080p videos would be a nice feature (least priority).

So I’m kinda choosing between buying a good-for-all MacBook Pro 16GB 512GB that would stay with me 1-2 years of office work + 1-2 years of data analytics college OR buying an Air model for office job now and if needed swapping it to Pro in a couple of years, as data analytics college is not confirmed at all lol. And therefore the second question would be which laptop to buy now.

I know it might be a lot and sound confusing. I will be grateful for any kind of advice 🙏🏼

Last edited:

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
16gb of RAM should be "the minimum".

2023 MBP.
14" or 16".
Realize the 16" form factor will be "more to lug around". This is a choice you have to make for yourself.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
I think the M2 15" would suit your uses well, both now and in the future. Unless you're doing really huge coding projects, a 16/512 configuration should be ample, and from what others have said, the larger screen is much appreciated with coding work. The M2 chip is plenty powerful, and the other MacBook Pro features are all nice to haves but not really necessary for what you're going to be doing. For the Price of the 16" ($2,499) you'll have $800 to bank if you wanted to replace the 15" Air ($1,699) after a couple of years or so.

Reactions: HappyInCalgary

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
Coding on anything smaller than 14"-15" is way too cramped IMO.

ctjack

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2020
Coding on anything smaller than 14"-15" is way too cramped IMO.
I think if you are doing coding as a work and not hobby, it is time to splurge on 2 external screens and a laptop that supports it.

dmccloud

macrumors 68040
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
I’m looking to buy a new laptop cuz my 2017 MacBook 12” 8/256 is getting pretty slow.

What I basically use now for my work is Outlook, WhatsApp, Safari (usually 10-15 tabs), Notes, Word, Notion, Google Sheets, Preview and Zoom. I use Zoom 3-5h a week only but when I have it+WA+Preview the laptop is overheating and stops responding sometimes. Hence, I was thinking to getting a 16GB RAM.

My storage is almost full, but I’m not planning to move anything from this computer onto the new one and I am not likely store much on the new one. However, I’ve read that M2 256GB models come with single NAND chip which allegedly makes it slower than M1 256GB with double chip meaning if I’m buying the M2 model, I need to get 512GB of storage minimum. Correct me if I’m wrong.

In a year or two, I’m planning to go for a masters degree in Computer Science/Data Analytics and therefore I will need a laptop suitable for big datasets and some coding. I do not play games, use Photoshop or edit 3D images or 4K videos, though being able to edit some 1080p videos would be a nice feature (least priority).

So I’m kinda choosing between buying a good-for-all MacBook Pro 16GB 512GB that would stay with me 1-2 years of office work + 1-2 years of data analytics college OR buying an Air model for office job now and if needed swapping it to Pro in a couple of years, as data analytics college is not confirmed at all lol. And therefore the second question would be which laptop to buy now.

I know it might be a lot and sound confusing. I will be grateful for any kind of advice 🙏🏼

From the perspective of longevity (especially given you're currently using a 2017 model), I'd recommend the base spec 14" Pro (16GB RAM, 512GB SSD). Not only will it handle everything you're currently using the Mac for, it will have the horsepower necessary for the programs you would be using in pursuit of that CS/Data Analytics degree. The other advantage of the 14" over either the 13" or 15" Air is that since it has a fan for the SoC, it can run longer without throttling. That would come in handy when doing analysis on large datasets.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.