Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cutsman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 1, 2006
I've noticed that there seems to be a range of focal lengths for macro lenses. My question is what makes a lens a "macro" lens if the focal lengths overlap with those of regular non-macro lenses?

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
I've noticed that there seems to be a range of focal lengths for macro lenses. My question is what makes a lens a "macro" lens if the focal lengths overlap with those of regular non-macro lenses?

It doesn't really have anything to do with focal length. You'll find macros from 60mm up to 180mm. Macro functionality refers to how close it can focus -- ie, much closer than most lenses.

Buschmaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2006
Minnesota
It doesn't really have anything to do with focal length. You'll find macros from 60mm up to 180mm. Macro functionality refers to how close it can focus -- ie, much closer than most lenses.
Some Sigmas telephotos have 1:2 macro from 200-300, I believe, as well.

cutsman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 1, 2006
So if focusing distance is the big difference... is there any disadvantage to using a macro lens for non-macro purposes?

Buschmaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2006
Minnesota
So if focusing distance is the big difference... is there any disadvantage to using a macro lens for non-macro purposes?
None. At least not in the decent macro lenses. I shoot Pentax and a lot of people say they keep either their 50mm or 100mm (same lens different focal lengths) macro lenses on quite often even just for portraits. However, some cheaper macro lenses may not be quite as good with focusing to infinity.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
OP, thanks for asking this... I've always wondered but was too chicken to ask. :eek:

Macro functionality refers to how close it can focus -- ie, much closer than most lenses.
Nice. Is there a non-super-technical way to explain how the physical lens is different to allow for this?

Since '76

macrumors member
May 3, 2007
Ability to focus 1:1 (lifesize) images on the sensor or film
A nice flat field (no pin cushion)
Less vignetting (even illumination)

All very useful in copy work as well as close-ups

Lovesong

macrumors 65816
None. At least not in the decent macro lenses. I shoot Pentax and a lot of people say they keep either their 50mm or 100mm (same lens different focal lengths) macro lenses on quite often even just for portraits. However, some cheaper macro lenses may not be quite as good with focusing to infinity.

That is true for most macro lenses. One major exception being the MP-E 65mm, which is one of the top-notch lenses for macro photography, but will not focus much beyond 5 inches. The 100, 60, and 180 from Canon are awesome for both macro, and general use.

IscariotJ

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2004
UK
Nikon's current lineup: 60mm, 105mm VR and 200mm f/4 -- all excellent lenses with 1:1 ratio. Each can be used for other purposes as well. The 105mm VR in particular makes a nice portrait lens, too!

I've just picked up the 105mm VR, and found it's focal length to just right for other types of shots. Sorta like a prime for my D40. Was beginning to wonder if there was any reason not to use it as such....

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
I wonder what the lowest magnifaction lens that a manufacture calls a macro lens is? A lot of lenses don't come that close to 1:1 and are called macros by their manufacturers. Seems like anything better than 1:4.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.