Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 22, 2015
What features matter for you in the next iPhone?

For me, these:

• Notch: reduce or eliminate.
  • Refresh rate: 120Hz, please.
  • Touch ID: bring it back. I don't care how; just do it.
  • Battery life: more is better. Less is worse.
  • Weight: Less is more.
  • Thickness: Less is more.
  • Sides: Round is better. Don't cut into my hands with the square stuff.
  • Camera bump: Reduce it. How far are you going to make that thing protrude?
Other stuff? Couldn't care less. Don't need a better camera, for example. Ain't no phone camera ever going to match my DSLR and good lenses, so quit pretending.

• Love
Reactions: Cape Dave

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK

For me, these:

Other stuff? Couldn't care less. Don't need a better camera, for example. Ain't no phone camera ever going to match my DSLR and good lenses, so quit pretending.
Pretty much everything you said apart from the sides. I just love that iPhone 4 square edge design. Round is ok though like the 6 to 11 series, but I prefer flat edges.

Damn right about DSLR and Lenses, however one area where smartphone cameras are better is with HDR and Exposure.

Reactions: LFC2020

FrozenInferno

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2013

For me, these:

So you want it to get thinner, lighter, rounder (slightly less internal volume), and shove more of the camera inside the phone to take up more space, yet somehow have more battery life WITH a 120hz refresh rate that would burn up even more juice? Seems like an awful lot to ask.

I wish Apple would cut the obsession with thinness and use any internal space gained to increase the size of the battery. I stopped being impressed with thinner phones around the time the iPhone 6 came out.

remington79

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2020
I want Touch ID and a bigger/better battery. I like bigger cases and use Otterbox defenders so rounded edges etc don’t matter to me. I really don’t care about the notch either to be honest.

svish

macrumors G4
Nov 25, 2017
TouchID, 120Hz and of course colours. Would like to see some bright colours especially for the Pro models.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
Give me a 12 Mini with a much smaller notch and better battery life. I don’t care if it’s thicker or heavier, I don’t care if the display is 120Hz or not.

macguy2021

Suspended
Jun 2, 2021
Weight/overall design..I actually prefer a heavier phone. Whether it's true or not, it makes me feel like it is quality and premium. I don't like light phones. I do like the squared off design of the 12 series but I also loved the rounded design of the 6-11 series. What is more important is the weight of the phone being slightly heavy and not flimsy or hollow feel.

Screen is important. I would like 120hz of course, but I'd also like to see the Pro Max bumped to 6.8 or 6.9 on the screen. 6.9 would be my ideal phone size, no bigger than that but a little bit more wouldn't hurt. In fact I'd rather see 6.9 and the same refresh than 6.7 and 120hz. That's just me. I really prefer big phones. I didn't start using an iPhone as my main phone until the 6 Plus came out although I loved the iPhones prior. I just feel like my eyes prefer big screen. I can one hand a Pro Max with ease as I have big hands, but even if it became a two hander I'm ok with that honestly.

Battery on my 12 Pro Max has been insanely great - no problems there. My 11 Pro Max was also equally great. The XS Max however was a disappointment in battery life. Keep it the same on the Pro Max or bump it up, either way. I have 0 complaints. Some iOS versions might make minute changes to that but it's still a charge every other day kind of phone.

Camera I'm pretty happy with but I wouldn't say no to a 4th lens in place of the LiDAR Scanner. I think an additional lens is great. Megapixels aren't everything, but the quality of Apple's lenses handily beat the 108MP gimmick of the S21 Ultra from Samsung. But if they keep it the same I'm ok with that too. I still feel they are the camera to beat only rivaled by DSLRs at this point. The Pixel's software can only go so far, and Samsung cameras are just not great IMO.

Touch ID would be a welcome addition but I find under the screen fingerprint readers highly unreliable as seen in the Samsungs. Putting it into the power button like the iPad Air is the way to go. So put it there and I will absolutely use it.

CPU/RAM is a funny one in that iPhones are never slow to me but I always get excited about the new chip. I think 8GB RAM in the Pro series would be cool to see, but with the 6GB introduced last year, I have no problem keeping that for a bit. It still requires far less than Android, where as I wouldn't touch an Android phone with less than 8 at this point. 4GB iPhones are still blazing fast for most people. And 3GB iPhones are still getting updates and still usable for most. That said, I always want more so give me 8 this year like the M1 iPad Pros and we will be good to go for a long while. And if they are doing that, at some point bring the 6GB to the regular models as well if you are bringing 8 to the Pros.

Storage is fine with a 128GB starting point for the Pros I feel. I go for the 256GB always but I don't think 64GB is enough for a Pro-oriented iPhone. I would perhaps like to see 128GB starting point across the board though even though I don't buy the regular models but it would be nice to see Apple to do that for those people as well too.

TLDR: 6.9" screen with or without 120hz (preferred 120hz), 8GB RAM, Touch ID on the power button, 4th camera lens

Overall the main thing I would like to see is a bigger screen on the Pro Max which is the model I always get.

mainelyme

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2017
I'd like a phone about the size of the current Pro Max except considerably lighter, even at the expense of battery life or "premium" materials. Make it unapologetically plastic!

120 Hz display means nothing to me, nor does an always on display. Camera's great already. Notch doesn't bother me, but what I would like is Touch ID in the side button. I also wouldn't object to bringing back the headphone jack.

They can make them all black and all 128 gb too, if it brings the price down. Maybe even get rid of wireless charging if that reduces the weight. Not having a glass back could only be a good thing.

JJL2026

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2021
Under display touch id and “squared” side design are must haves.
Matte black on pro models would be nice.
Improved camera, smaller notch, and better 5G are all icing on the cake.
Smaller notch will probably look better in person (or on the display in the Apple Event) but as of right now smaller notch is a negative.

Last edited:

killhippie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2016
UK
Bigger battery, make the phone thicker to reduce the camera hump and include bigger battery as its not a Tardis. !20Mhz with a option to turn it off as on a phone I really don't need to have that feature and if it eats battery life as I'm sure it will, no matter how amazing the new Apple silicon is. So as long I can turn it off that's fine. Better antennae, less for over function here please.

I'm not really worried about the notch, or touch ID either I don't care as long as I can unlock it. I also dont care about 'always on' either because im not always looking at my phone. Better audio quality for calls and for god sake sort out the front camera so it lets in more light when doing facetime calls in dim light.

The rest is just marketing and Bagley wants to give us more ZZT (How to Get Ahead in Advertising) So whatever comes along that makes Apple more money, that we think we cant live without but actually did just fine with when we didn't have it, or know it even existed. Oh and add an extra £100 while quietly cutting corners in the phones internal production costs because of 5G modem prices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.