Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jwl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2009
San Ramon
Looking to upgrade to the new(ish) 24" ACD..

Likes: Built in camera (I use video chat pretty often), Sharp, contrasty, price.

Dislikes: Glossy screen, colors look a little too saturated, a little too sharp.

Background info on what I am using now:
Dell 3007 HC with MacPro
MBP 15

Curious to see how many of you are using a hardware calibrated 24 ACD, or if there are any other suggestions. I would like a monitor that matches my MBP (which I feel is most accurate once calibrated).

TIA

davegregory

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2009
Burlington, Ontario
I use the 24" LED cinema display. I really like it. It's very "apple". That said, like everything else Apple, it's not without its quirks. It's EXTREMELY bright. Brighter than it really needs to be. The screen is also very reflective, so it's best to work with a light behind the monitor and not overhead. You definitely want to get it calibrated (I used a Spyder 3 pro) and calibrate it with your MBP in the general kind of ambient light you'll be working in. After calibration I've gotten my prints to look very close to what's on the screen. I used a Samsung monitor before this one and I was very pleased with it as well, though I can't remember the model number of it. If you go with the cinema display I think you'll be happy. I'm sure though there are monitors out there that are just as nice that aren't as expensive. I've seen the ACD refurbed on the Apple store for $699 CDN, which is about $300 off. If you don't like glossy screens or aren't used to working with them, it may not be the monitor for you. The built in speakers aren't anything worth talking about, if you care about sound you'll want a standalone set. The isight camera is very nice, good quality, and the microphone performs well.

It wouldn't suprise me though if a lot of people didn't like this monitor. The cables are a bit short to use with a Mac Pro. It's definitely designed for the laptops. So as long as you've got the newer macbook pros it's worth looking at. If not, it'll cost you almost $200 for a DVI to DisplayPort adapter, so that's really not worth it.

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
30" and 23" ACDs, and a 15" uMBP glossy. I use the ACDs for colour critical work (obviously calibrated), and the uMBP for on-location quick 'n dirty efforts - usually just culling and cropping. I basically don't trust gloss - the current glossy laptops/ACD have a habit of over-saturating the red channel.

fr4c

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2007
Hamster wheel
Using the 24" LED also, absolutely love it. I had an older 20" Cinema Display which I upgraded from, and the brightness is just insane on the 24". Even in a well lit room, I think I have the monitor a notch or two below the middle brightness.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I use an ACD, but if I had to buy today it would be a Dell or even an HP.

dazey

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2005
I currently use a 20" ACD. I had a look around at 24" IPS monitors recently and I understand that the HP one is one of the best bang-for-the-buck monitors. NEC do some pretty nice monitors but they are expensive. In the not distant future I intend to add an HP to my collection!

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
hmm, I also thought of getting a external monitor, but Apple recently released iMac 21 and 27" just make me start thinking again. Since I am going to place my monitor and likely nvr move it again, the new iMac makes well, pretty much the same sense, and I can hook up my WD 1TB HD onto my iMac and can leave it there rather then having to unplug it each time I want to take my MBP out :D

Also cant wait to try out the new Magic Mouse :D

TheStrudel

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2008
That 27" monitor is highly intriguing. IPS, highest resolution non-30" display yet. It's resolution is actually not that much less than a 16:10 30"... but it's fascinating purely because it's a wholly new resolution on the display market. Before any other manufacturer, no less. Looks like  had first dibs on these LG panels.

TheStrudel

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2008
How new is your Dell 30"? If it's new enough, you could adapt it with MDP to Displayport cables or other options...

QuantumLo0p

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2006
U.S.A.
I use a 23" ACD but if I were in the market for another monitor I would consider a 30", Apple or comparable .

The 23" is spectacular! Why not buy more of a good thing?!
:D

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
May 29, 2007
30" Dell, which is pretty good apart from the flaky Apple mini displayport to dual link DVI adapter.

I have a ACD 23" and wanted a 30" ACD for my uMBP. But the $99 adapter turned me off & the abysmal reviews by many people reporting it doesn't even work broke the deal. For the same price as a refurb 30" ACD + adapter I ordered a new Dell 3008WFP 30" monitor, which I can connect to my MBP using a $5 mini to DisplayPort cable from Monoprice. I have the cable, but am waiting for the Dell to ship (eta Nov 4).

Apple has really screwed up and dropped the ball on support for the 30" ACD and their current MBPs.

DNA930

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2009
How is that working out? I often see this model recommended for allegedly having a rather fine price-performance ratio.

I just picked up a couple of 2209WAs from the Dell outlet for $199 each. They are alot of bang for the buck.

stagi

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2006
I use the 30" ACD and love it. Upgraded a few years back from a 23" ACD which worked great for me for a number of years.

Kronie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2008
How is that working out? I often see this model recommended for allegedly having a rather fine price-performance ratio.

I love it. Unfortunately I had to get 6 replacements because of a rather loud backlight hum. I had all but given up hope but #6 was perfect.

Goodbye to the 2209WA though. I have a 27" Quad I7 coming.....sometime in November....:(

wacomme

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2009
30" NEC LCD-3090 WQXi

This is my photo monitor, including its own calibration puck and software. I like it very much.

Michael

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.