Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MBX

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 14, 2006
Can anyone give me advice on what new/ recent camera's outthere are advised to buy and are or will be supported by Aperture?
Obviously i can't buy a 1 or 2 year old camera just because it's on the list of supported Raw-cameras on the aperture website. I want one as recent as possible.

I just bought the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX150 and neither Aperture or Lightroom support it's Raw files. And somebody told me they might never support it. Even if they did i can't wait weeks or months for the Raw-compatibility to happen.

So what new cameras do you know of in the price-range max $600 (compact or dslr) that are compatible with Aperture?

Thanks

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Almost any Canon or Nikon DSLR is supported (apart from some announced but not yet shipping ones). Also most Sony, Pentax etc DSLRs are supported.

For $600 you could get any of these.

Of course you are probably going to end up spending much more in the end if you get a DSLR as you will ultimately want better lenses etc.

In P&S land I'd be looking at a Canon G9. Yes it's just be replaced but the G10 has a higher megapixel sensor which will, almost certainly, result in lower image quality. The G9 is fully supported by Aperture and is a great little camera.

MBX

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 14, 2006
Almost any Canon or Nikon DSLR is supported (apart from some announced but not yet shipping ones). Also most Sony, Pentax etc DSLRs are supported.

For $600 you could get any of these.

Of course you are probably going to end up spending much more in the end if you get a DSLR as you will ultimately want better lenses etc.

In P&S land I'd be looking at a Canon G9. Yes it's just be replaced but the G10 has a higher megapixel sensor which will, almost certainly, result in lower image quality. The G9 is fully supported by Aperture and is a great little camera.

Damn, the G9 seems out of all the stores already. I actually wanted to buy it 2 months ago and they didn't have or sell anymore.

And the G10, jeez, at least i wish the higher megapixels wouldn't translate to noisier images. Why do they keep going up. Let's leave that up to the amateur point-and-shoot cameras.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
So what new cameras do you know of in the price-range max $600 (compact or dslr) that are compatible with Aperture?

Thanks

What you need is an entry level SLR. Nikon's D40 would fit in your budget.

You can use your current camera. What you do is convert the raw files using the software that came with the camera to 16-bit per channel tiff files. You don't loose anything in the process. Then import the tiff files.

If you are so concerned with image quality that yu need to shoot raw then you really do need an SLR with it's much larger sensor

Normally I'd warn about the D40's lack of an in-body focus motor but I just noticed that Nikon has fixed that issue with the release of a new 50mm lens.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
If you're not in any particular hurry, you might wait for the Panasonic G1 to hit store shelves (in a couple of months).

I think that camera would be loads more fun than a G9, and it won't cost much more. It looks like this:

2850600158_24b9f08e7d.jpg

Here are some more photos of it, so you can see how very small it is.

It has a flip-out swivel screen, which is really nice, and of course the lenses are interchangeable.

Buschmaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2006
Minnesota
Samsung/Pentax is the way to go if you're me ;)

The newly announced K2000D will hit a pretty sweet STREET price point and the kit includes 2 lenses and a flash.

Or you could even get the K200D for <$500 new on Amazon and a couple other places and pick up the kit lens and a filter or two.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
As mentioned, the D40 is a good buy in that price range. You can get a kit with 18-55mm and 55-200mm lenses, or one with the 18-135mm lens, for about $600.

There's lots of new stuff on the way, as people have posted, but I'm always weary of being the first group to buy a product. You never know exactly how good it's going to be. Lots of times products actually get worse with each new revision... With that in mind, the D40 is about 2 years+ old now, so it's a known quantity, and a good buy even with its age.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
As mentioned, the D40 is a good buy in that price range. You can get a kit with 18-55mm and 55-200mm lenses, or one with the 18-135mm lens, for about $600.

There's lots of new stuff on the way, as people have posted, but I'm always weary of being the first group to buy a product. You never know exactly how good it's going to be. Lots of times products actually get worse with each new revision... With that in mind, the D40 is about 2 years+ old now, so it's a known quantity, and a good buy even with its age.

The D40 is still a good buy right now, but in a couple of months, when these new Panasonic, Pentax, and Olympus cameras actually hit the stores, the D40 going to be looking really long in the tooth.

As for products getting worse with each new revision: that might be true for PnS cameras, but is usually not the case with DSLRs. The MP arms race is largely to blame for diminishing IQ in newer releases. Besides, just because you're invested in a camera system doesn't mean you have to buy the next iteration of the very same body that you have, especially at the entry level.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.