Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Over Achiever

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Hello,

I own a Sigma DP-1 which I want to sell, but I don't know which avenues to go by besides eBay. Selling it here in the MR Market doesn't seem like it would work because it's such a specialized camera, and the only other forum I frequent is DPReview, which doesn't have a buying/selling forum. So I was wondering if there are other forums or companies that would buy the camera?

Sorry if this is such a vague question, but I figure someone in the photography forum would know.

Thanks!
OA

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
KEH generally works well or Amazon marketplace. I would also try Fred Miranda. Do you know what you want to sell it for ... out of general interest?

Over Achiever

macrumors 68000
Original poster
I hope to get at least $500 for it, it's still in good condition, and I have many accessories that go with it (a second battery, filters, the hood adaptor, viewfinder, etc). Considering I spent over $1,000 on everything, I'd be happy with at least $500.

I'll take a look at Fred Miranda.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Why is that unique? A new one costs $550 with a simple search.

Digital cameras have very high depreciation.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005

Digital cameras have very high depreciation.

I was just saying over a grand? $550 for a new, unused camera. $20 lens hood, the viewfinder looks to be about $150 per amazon (dunno if that is right), extra battery $20, filters range depending on quality and quantity ... so, baring in mind the camera is used, I would say no more than $700 flat without further info on the filters.

$1,000 is a fool's buy. Ebay is the place to sell to fools.

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008

the DP-1 is a unique camera with a niche market.

fredmiranda requires a $25 subscription to post in the buy&sell forum. you can answer any WTBs, though. there's also the photography-on-the-net marketplace, but that requires 30 posts.

and then there's nikonians, and all the other forums catering towards other companies.

jons

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2008
Yeah, FM or photo.net have worked well for me. $25 is well worth it on FM, as there are tons of people watching those board all day long.

Kronie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2008
If its a camera anyone wants, Then Ebay will get you the most dollars. Sites like FM, or Photo.net are full of informed buyers so your NOT going to get the most $$$.

Ebay opens it up to everyone, not just photo people (and sometimes some stupid buyers that pay more for used than new) and if your lucky you will get a nice bidding war toward the end.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
If its a camera anyone wants, Then Ebay will get you the most dollars. Sites like FM, or Photo.net are full of informed buyers so your NOT going to get the most $$$.

Ebay opens it up to everyone, not just photo people (and sometimes some stupid buyers that pay more for used than new) and if your lucky you will get a nice bidding war toward the end.

Plus, eBay users may be "one stop shop" and not bother with going to many other sites, and who may have PayPal money to pay your auction with.

If you are willing to just get rid of it, figure out shipping and costs and use "buy it now"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.