Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vacay

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2012
Which power bar/surge protector or UPS do you connect your MacBook Pro, monitor and other gear to? Please include brand and model if possible.

justashooter

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2020
I have a CyberPower SX550G, it is 550VA 330 watt. But I notice that they have kept the same model number but changed the orientation of the plug, they are all in a line.
This is the SX550G now: https://www.cyberpowersystems.com/product/ups/battery-backup/sx550g/
This is the what I would get now, with the plugs orriented so small power bricks do not interfer with the next plug:
It has only activated once when plugged into my MacBook Pro and I was not home, it shut down the MBP like it is supposed to, which shut down my drive correctly. Only one side is battery powered/surge protected, the other side is surge protection only. It won't run the equipment very long but I didn't buy it for that.

Reactions: vacay

vacay

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2012
I have a CyberPower SX550G, it is 550VA 330 watt. But I notice that they have kept the same model number but changed the orientation of the plug, they are all in a line.
This is the SX550G now: https://www.cyberpowersystems.com/product/ups/battery-backup/sx550g/
This is the what I would get now, with the plugs orriented so small power bricks do not interfer with the next plug:
It has only activated once when plugged into my MacBook Pro and I was not home, it shut down the MBP like it is supposed to, which shut down my drive correctly. Only one side is battery powered/surge protected, the other side is surge protection only. It won't run the equipment very long but I didn't buy it for that.

Any idea how much surge protection is sufficient to protect connected devices in general?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.