Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nando2323

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 15, 2007
I have a D90 and now starting to use the picture settings a lot more and notice that this meta data is not carring over into Aperture when I import them in. What process do any of you do for importing your images into Aperture, do you use NX view first then export from there into Aperture. Or what other method do you use.

Reason I am asking is because the pictures that I take with my camera look great on the preview even in Aperture as they are loading in then as soon as you open them they look bland and washed out. I asked a similar question before and someone suggested that Aperture does not see this "meta data" that the camera is putting in and therefore the pictures change.

ghoztman

macrumors regular
May 23, 2008
Switzerland
I have a Canon 40D. I import my pictures directly from the camera into Aperture projects. I have not experienced any of the image problems or loss of meta data that you describe.

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
I have a Canon 40D. I import my pictures directly from the camera into Aperture projects. I have not experienced any of the image problems or loss of meta data that you describe.

I'll take ghoztman's side, kthxbai. I has a 400D, and have never experienced issues.

Although I use a card reader, because I hate using the rubber flappy covers for ports on the camera.

the Helix

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2003
Aperture ---> Capture NX

I upload all of my RAW files into Aperture, which I use to organize and rate my shots. Light post processing is done in Aperture, but when there is a particularly important shot, I send it to Capture NX.

nando2323

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 15, 2007
So in order to keep that meta data that my d90 is putting on the pics do I need to use Capture NX first then export from there and import into aperture?

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
probably. i know Canon's picture styles aren't preserved unless you import them to DPP first.

jaseone

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
Houston, USA
I don't know about Aperture but in Lightroom you can set your "Camera Calibration" per photo or on a batch so it sets things like "Camera Vivid" that applies the same settings as Vivid on the D90 does.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I asked a similar question before and someone suggested that Aperture does not see this "meta data" that the camera is putting in and therefore the pictures change.

When you import a raw NEF file from the camera al you get is the raw sensor data. The camera setting for "vivid" and "sharpening" only apply to the in-camera raw to JPG processing. If you want to use these then you must let the camera do the conversion to JPG. Nikon does send this information inside the NEF file but it is encrypted and Aperture can't use it.

If you are using Aperture to do the NEF to JPG conversion you are going to have to look at the photo and adjust it in Aperture.

If you were yo use NX to do the conversion then the camera setting are used as a starting place that you can change if you like but then you'd need to convert to JPG inside NX and then import the JPG to Aperture.

That's just the way it is. If you shoot raw with Nikon and process in Aperture don't bother with those conversion settings as they only effect JPGs

nando2323

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 15, 2007
When you import a raw NEF file from the camera al you get is the raw sensor data. The camera setting for "vivid" and "sharpening" only apply to the in-camera raw to JPG processing. If you want to use these then you must let the camera do the conversion to JPG. Nikon does send this information inside the NEF file but it is encrypted and Aperture can't use it.

If you are using Aperture to do the NEF to JPG conversion you are going to have to look at the photo and adjust it in Aperture.

If you were yo use NX to do the conversion then the camera setting are used as a starting place that you can change if you like but then you'd need to convert to JPG inside NX and then import the JPG to Aperture.

That's just the way it is. If you shoot raw with Nikon and process in Aperture don't bother with those conversion settings as they only effect JPGs

Cool thanks for the explanation.

nando2323

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 15, 2007
I don't know where in my post I said Canon but I didn't so I don't know why people with Canon's are replying? IDC good for you well guess what it doesn't apply to me or my question.

Thank you.

numbersyx

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2006
I drag all of my RAW files onto an external HD and then import into Aperture. I must say that it's a shame that Aperture does not have a built in DNG convertor like Lightroom does as I wouldn't mind converting my files to that format on import.

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
I have a D90 and now starting to use the picture settings a lot more and notice that this meta data is not carring over into Aperture when I import them in.
Aperture does see this metadata, but because it uses a different RAW conversion engine, it doesn't know what to do with it. The different settings are only used in one of two possible scenarios: (i) if you shoot jpg (it's used as in-camera options for the RAW-jpg conversion) or (ii) if you use Nikon's own RAW converter. If you use Nikon's RAW converter, they are only used as presets.

You can emulate these settings though: tweak an exemplary RAW file to your liking and save the settings as a preset. Apply this preset to RAW images the next time you import them.

This has nothing to do with your camera make and model, it is just the same with other brands (e. g. Canon). I'm not sure any third-party RAW converter can use the in-camera presets properly (please correct me if I'm wrong, but I haven't heard of one, though). That's the relevance of the others' replies, by the way.

shady825

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2008
Area 51
I don't know where in my post I said Canon but I didn't so I don't know why people with Canon's are replying? IDC good for you well guess what it doesn't apply to me or my question.

Thank you.

People are giving you there input about Aperture. We are all just trying to help. You dont have to say things like "I dont care good for you"
No one here is saying "ha ha our Canon's work perfect" If you didnt want input from Canon people then maybe you should go to a Nikon forum!?
How bout that!?

nando2323

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 15, 2007
People are giving you there input about Aperture. We are all just trying to help. You dont have to say things like "I dont care good for you"
No one here is saying "ha ha our Canon's work perfect" If you didnt want input from Canon people then maybe you should go to a Nikon forum!?
How bout that!?

Because input from people with Canon's like yourself is not relevant to my question. I specifically said Nikon D90 Capture NX and stuff like that. Which by my knowledge Canon does not make.

numbersyx

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2006
Because input from people with Canon's like yourself is not relevant to my question. I specifically said Nikon D90 Capture NX and stuff like that. Which by my knowledge Canon does not make.

Take a chill pill, my friend. People are just trying to help you..

nando2323

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 15, 2007
Take a chill pill, my friend. People are just trying to help you..

I will I just hate when people chime in on something that does not pertain to their situation or the subject at hand. It's like me asking a question about Windows and someone saying well that works fine on my Mac. Well really does it? Still doesn't answer my question. Now others in the forum were actually helpful like Oreo and ChrisA they actually answered the question, and not bragged that theirs works.

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
What some of them are saying about Canons is perfectly relevant, because their Canon's image presets aren't respected by Aperture (or any third-party RAW converter I know of) either.

nando2323

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 15, 2007
What some of them are saying about Canons is perfectly relevant, because their Canon's image presets aren't respected by Aperture (or any third-party RAW converter I know of) either.

That's not what they are saying.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.