Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Silo25

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2017
I have got a Macbook Pro 13 inch from early 2015 with Retina Display, that was purchased late last year and has the OS Sierra on it, and it's got a 128GB storage, I am going to be purchasing an upgrade for it. What will still be there when I change out the hard-drive?

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
I have got a Macbook Pro 13 inch from early 2015 with Retina Display, that was purchased late last year and has the OS Sierra on it, and it's got a 128GB storage, I am going to be purchasing an upgrade for it. What will still be there when I change out the hard-drive?

The retina Macbook pro from 2015 does not have a hard drive. If you replace/upgrade the SSD in it, all data on it is gone. You should back up your data first.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
The best thing to do is to use either CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper to create a cloned bootable backup of the internal drive. Then you will be able to boot from an external drive if you need to.

Both CCC and SD are FREE to download and FREE to use for 30 days.

Do you have a source for the new drive?
These are not easily "found".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.