Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lgestopen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2018
It'll be my first time getting a Mac (I'm a college student) and I want this to be a really good investment. I've been choosing between the new Air and the 2017 Pro without the touchbar. I was leaning towards the Pro 2017 at first but after reading news and threads about the keyboard, I am now leaning towards the Air. I also recently discovered that Apple has repair service programs specifically for the Macbook Pro nTB concerning issues with the battery, the SSD, and the keyboard.

Is the risk worth taking for the MBP 2017 nTB or is it better to go for the new Air 2018?

Thanks!

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
I would take the Pro unless you're adamant that you need the extra super weight benefit of the Air. The Air has the T2 chip, which has been problematic. Huge potential, but a roll of the dice at this point.

Reactions: lgestopen

ajay96

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2013
New York, NY
I just picked up the base model MacBook Pro without the Touch Bar, and it's pretty decent for everyday tasks. I use a desktop at home, so it's something that's great for on to go work and something to use in class. I got it for $1149 at Best Buy. (If you're in the US)

Wags

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2006
Nebraska, USA
It'll be my first time getting a Mac (I'm a college student) and I want this to be a really good investment. I've been choosing between the new Air and the 2017 Pro without the touchbar. I was leaning towards the Pro 2017 at first but after reading news and threads about the keyboard, I am now leaning towards the Air. I also recently discovered that Apple has repair service programs specifically for the Macbook Pro nTB concerning issues with the battery, the SSD, and the keyboard.

Is the risk worth taking for the MBP 2017 nTB or is it better to go for the new Air 2018?

Thanks!
Not sure if you were thinking repair programs for the mbp was good or bad.
Ultimately good at this point. You are covered with those issues if anything goes wrong.

littlepud

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2012
Get neither the Air nor the nTB 2017. A refurb 2018 TB with quad-core CPU is way better value even though it's $250 more.

lgestopen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2018
Not sure if you were thinking repair programs for the mbp was good or bad.
Ultimately good at this point. You are covered with those issues if anything goes wrong.
Probably both good and bad. Good because as you pointed out if the problems arise, it means that I'm covered. Bad because it also means that the MBP nTB 2017 somewhat has recurring problems that even Apple had to fix through these programs. Based on everyone's replies though, I think the MBP is still the better option than the MBA 2018

Dominus Mortem

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2011
They are both the same form factor. Both weigh nearly the same (.25 or so of a pound difference). The differences are:

Pro: brighter screen (huge issue for me, dimmer screens tire my eyes quickly). The pro has the better CPU and GPU.

Air: Has the gen3 keyboard vs. the gen2 of the Pro. Maybe this is a pro, maybe not.

Personally I'd choose the pro every time. I would think the decision would only be difficult for you if you think the keyboard differences might be an issue.

Reactions: Wags and lgestopen

akswun

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2009
I was in the same situation during black Friday. I'm coming from a 13" 09 MBP.
I ended up with the 2017 13" nonTB Pro, though the air seemed appealing because it was newer. But in the end the pro is faster. After over a few weeks with it and a few dj gigs its been solid. No issues with the keyboard either, but it is a lot different than what I'm used to. I find the biggest change for me is the trackpad and getting used to the pressure of dragging files.

Reactions: Wags

lgestopen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2018
Thank you guys for your comments. I've made up my mind and will get the 2017 MBP nTB. Feel free to keep adding opinions between the two. Again thanks for the help :)

Reactions: ajay96
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.