Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Johnny Steps

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 29, 2011
Hello everyone, I recently purchased two days ago a 2018 MacBook Pro 15" i7 512GB 16GB RAM. Being aware of the whole heat issue and reading that there were some positive results to the post patch, I decided to take the plunge in purchasing one.

Now, at the moment where I only have Safari open and the Intel Power Gadget application running, it states the temperature is at 59 degrees Celsius or 138 degrees Fahrenheit... that can't be right can it? The system is running normally from what I see.. and the laptop feels warm to warmest above the Touch Bar. Furthermore, I have it connected to an external monitor, non-charging.

So yeah.. should I be worried or is this monitoring program wrong?

Thanks everyone.

New_Mac_Smell

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2016
Shanghai
The position you describe is right where the CPU/GPU is. The temperature is not abnormal, if your running an external display then the GPU is being utilized - generating heat. If you're also running it off battery then the battery is currently discharging, and with the GPU being active, it's discharging at a high rate - as a battery discharges, it generates heat.

If these temperatures are causing system problems, it shuts down, freezes up etc. then it's an issue. Otherwise if there's no problem, no issue, then don't worry about it and just use the computer.

The temperature is also affected by other external factors, such as ambient temperature, and also laptops will always run hotter than desktops due to lack of thermal space. As a comparison, I've just checked my iMac here and it's currently 50' (Quad core i7). So your 6 core laptop is only a few degrees hotter, I'd say it's perfectly fine, enjoy! :cool:

Johnny Steps

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 29, 2011
The position you describe is right where the CPU/GPU is. The temperature is not abnormal, if your running an external display then the GPU is being utilized - generating heat. If you're also running it off battery then the battery is currently discharging, and with the GPU being active, it's discharging at a high rate - as a battery discharges, it generates heat.

If these temperatures are causing system problems, it shuts down, freezes up etc. then it's an issue. Otherwise if there's no problem, no issue, then don't worry about it and just use the computer.

The temperature is also affected by other external factors, such as ambient temperature, and also laptops will always run hotter than desktops due to lack of thermal space. As a comparison, I've just checked my iMac here and it's currently 50' (Quad core i7). So your 6 core laptop is only a few degrees hotter, I'd say it's perfectly fine, enjoy! :cool:

Thanks for the quick response! That's very reassuring to know. I don't have another laptop to compare it to so I wanted to double check. But yeah, no system problems so far. I should probably just quit the monitoring application and enjoy my laptop without worry!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.