Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Original poster
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
I'm looking to take some photography classes in school and I have an older film SLR that I really like. But I'm ready to move onto digital, but I have no idea how to shop for a digital SLR. What would be a good one in the price range of $400 to $600?

Kamera RAWr

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2007
Sitting on a rig somewhere
There are plenty of options, but some of my personal favorites in that price range would be Nikon D40, Canon Rebel XT, Pentax K100D. You can find a lot of helpful resources on dpreview.com :)

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
What system is the film SLR? Can you use your existing lenses on a digital body? Seems like your budget is quite tight so this could save you some money.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Sorry I'm not exactly sure on the model, but I can tell you it's an EOS Elan. Thanks for all the input.

An EOS Elan takes Canon EF lenses. This means that any lens that fits that camera will work with any of the Canon DSLR cameras. The only lens compatibility issue you will run into is if you decide you would want to use an EF-S lens. EF-S lenses are currently Digital only, and only fit the Digital Rebels, 20D, 30D, and new 40D.

The Digital Rebel series of cameras will work well with Elan lenses, and flashes. I would also consider looking into a pre owned 20D. It has a more durable body than the Rebel bodies, and has some more features that some consider professional.

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
Guage the real value of any lenses and gear you have though to see if it's worth influencing your decision. I'd say a crappy kit 35-80mm f/4-5.6 lens, or something like that, is no reason to get a Canon. If you have some genuinely decent lenses, then that's another story.

jlcharles

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2006
Wenonah, NJ
I'm looking to take some photography classes in school and I have an older film SLR that I really like. But I'm ready to move onto digital, but I have no idea how to shop for a digital SLR. What would be a good one in the price range of $400 to $600?

If you're going to be using this for photography classes, you should first make sure that they will be digital photography classes and not require film and darkroom work.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California

Wait untill AFTER you finish the class to buy a digital camera. Most beginning photo classes require you to shoot black and white film. If they don't they should.

When you buy an SLR you are buying into a "system". First you buy a body then some lenses and then the next body will have to fit the lenses and so on. Pick a company that you know you will still like in 10 years . Already you are seeing this, that EOS lens can be put to use of you buy a Canon digital body. Try and predict the future by looking at what each company has done in the past.

With a light budget look for good used equipment. Digital SLR bodies don't hold value well which is a good thing it you are a buyer. A two generation old Rebel can still do good work.

Ask the teachers who will be teaching the class, many still do use B&W film. That really is the best way to learn the basics

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Original poster
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
Wait untill AFTER you finish the class to buy a digital camera. Most beginning photo classes require you to shoot black and white film. If they don't they should.

When you buy an SLR you are buying into a "system". First you buy a body then some lenses and then the next body will have to fit the lenses and so on. Pick a company that you know you will still like in 10 years . Already you are seeing this, that EOS lens can be put to use of you buy a Canon digital body. Try and predict the future by looking at what each company has done in the past.

With a light budget look for good used equipment. Digital SLR bodies don't hold value well which is a good thing it you are a buyer. A two generation old Rebel can still do good work.

Ask the teachers who will be teaching the class, many still do use B&W film. That really is the best way to learn the basics

Thanks for the advise, I think I will wait. I have one more question though. Is there something I have to adjust, or watch for in digital photography that I don't have to worry about in film or vice versa

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.