Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Harmush

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 21, 2008
Liverpool
YOu know when you watch a photoshoot and the photographer has a few macs with some software loading all the pictures he is taking up automatically as he takes them. what software is that? how is it done? special cameras?

macAllen

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2009
Las Vegas
Most Photographers use Apple Aperture which is a Powerful photo editing and management. I also use this especially when I have mini Photo Shoots where I can "tether" my cam on to Aperture and have the photos I take go directly to my computer.

http://www.apple.com/aperture/whatisaperture/

But im sure there is other software that allows you to Tether your camera to your computer i remember that Canon has an app that comes with its P&S cameras even though you cant with them which i thought was pretty pointless.

CK.

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2009
Sweden.
Most Photographers use Apple Aperture which is a Powerful photo editing and management. I also use this especially when I have mini Photo Shoots where I can "tether" my cam on to Aperture and have the photos I take go directly to my computer.

http://www.apple.com/aperture/whatisaperture/

But im sure there is other software that allows you to Tether your camera to your computer i remember that Canon has an app that comes with its P&S cameras even though you cant with them which i thought was pretty pointless.

Canon has applications for tethered shooting that comes with the DSLRs too, those models that has LiveView can even be maneuvered from the computer itself, which I find rather cool, even if it's not that useful in most situations.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Most Photographers use Apple Aperture which is a Powerful photo editing and management.

The above might be true but there are at least a half dozen software packages the allow tethered shooting on a Mac. With Leopard, even "Image capture" has a button labled "Take a Picture" and when you click on it it will trip the shutter on a tethered camera, download and display the photo.

So, All you need is Mac OS X, a supported camera, and a USB cable. That said, other software has more features.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.