Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Emad14

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 18, 2020
I’m looking to buy the 16 inch pro and I’m not sure what specs to get (other than i know I’m getting the i7 processor) because I know absolutely nothing about computers. I currently have the 2015 12” MacBook and I use photoshop and illustrator a ton for designs for my etsy shop. My 2015 MacBook has always been slow and laggy when running these applications and now its impossible to even use them without my computer completely crashing or freezing. Also, I really love the Sims 4 and am hoping to get a new computer that could run the game on at least high to ultra graphics settings. I’m fresh out of college so I don’t have enough money to get the best of everything but i’m willing to spend extra for a fast and no issue computer.

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
First off, look at the recommended specs on the dev sites for the apps and games you'll be using most. Is an i7 really needed? You might be fine with an i5. To give you an idea, here's the Adobe Illustrator system requirements page. You'll want to look under the macOS. It's always good to exceed the minimum requirements and go for the recommended.

Although you seem decided that you want the 16" Intel chip MBP, it was released nearly a year ago. You may or may not know that new ARM Macs (using Apple's new chip instead of Intel) will be announced on November 13. That's probably worth waiting for to see what the new lineup will be.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Can you wait a year? The entire Mac line is being updated from Intel chips to Apple Silicon over the next 18 months. Or consider a refurbed or used 16" to save money on a system approaching the end of its line.

There are several threads on this same subject that cover some good refurb prices.

playtech1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2014
If your heart is set on a 16 inch MBP then I think this is the first MBP in a long time where the standard configurations are worth getting.

The 1TB model offers me all of the upgrades I need without having to touch the - rather overpriced - optional extras in the Apple Store.

LinkRS

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2014
Texas, USA
I’m looking to buy the 16 inch pro and I’m not sure what specs to get (other than i know I’m getting the i7 processor) because I know absolutely nothing about computers. I currently have the 2015 12” MacBook and I use photoshop and illustrator a ton for designs for my etsy shop. My 2015 MacBook has always been slow and laggy when running these applications and now its impossible to even use them without my computer completely crashing or freezing. Also, I really love the Sims 4 and am hoping to get a new computer that could run the game on at least high to ultra graphics settings. I’m fresh out of college so I don’t have enough money to get the best of everything but i’m willing to spend extra for a fast and no issue computer.

Since you are coming from the Apple Netbook, aka 12" MacBook, almost any new Mac you purchase will be an incredible upgrade. The one thing that should probably be said, is that many folks here have problems with the 16" MacBook Pro running too loud and hot when using an external display. Some folks are fine with one display and only see the problems when running 2. Others are fine running multiple displays, as long as they aren't 4K. Other folks have splurged and took the very expensive upgrade to the AMD 5600RTX GPU (~$800), and solved all problems with external displays. The other potential SNAFU with the 16" is battery life. Some folks don't like how long there batteries last in this model, and others indicate what looks like premature battery ageing (meaning battery charge level is decreasing). Personally, I love my current 16" MacBook Pro. I (however) do not use any external displays, and have not had any issues with the battery life, coming from a 2015 i7 MacBook Pro. Regardless, I would encourage you to strongly consider adding AppleCare+ to any new Mac you purchase. It will give you the piece of mind that your expensive laptop will be covered should anything happen for 3 years. Good luck!

Rich S.

Natzoo

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
Do you think you can wait till November? The 16" is a year old and apple updates the devices yearly, even if you don't want the 2020 version, it will become cheaper at the end of November.

ght56

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2020
I would not personally get a 16-inch at the current moment unless you are going for one with 5600M GPU or unless you can get one as a major discount. Micro Center has refurb base units for like $1,400, which I think is a great buy from a reputable seller. As you are a student and on a budget, the Micro Center deal might be a great match...it's a powerful system for not much money.

dinobear

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2020
I went all out with mine. 64gb ram, 5600m. I use it to make a living. My last laptop has 16gb ram and I regularly maxed it out with high res photoshop images.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.