Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ACOR171

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 26, 2016
Hello!
I am planning on purchasing a macbook pro from a stranger and I want to ask you a couple of questions.
1. When does the international warranty start for a macbook? When it is first turned on or when it is purchased? I have read and heard many conflicting answers
2. When I receive the macbook i will have the option to check it for a few minutes before i pay (courier policy). What should i look for? I mean, i want to do a full diagnosis, so to speak. Other than battery cycles, what else do i need to do to make absolutely sure it's everything it's supposed to be? I mean, to make sure that the configuration is as stated, that there is no damage or errors etc.
Thank you very much!

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Hello!
I am planning on purchasing a macbook pro from a stranger and I want to ask you a couple of questions.
1. When does the international warranty start for a macbook? When it is first turned on or when it is purchased? I have read and heard many conflicting answers
2. When I receive the macbook i will have the option to check it for a few minutes before i pay (courier policy). What should i look for? I mean, i want to do a full diagnosis, so to speak. Other than battery cycles, what else do i need to do to make absolutely sure it's everything it's supposed to be? I mean, to make sure that the configuration is as stated, that there is no damage or errors etc.
Thank you very much!

1) Warranty starts from when it is purchased. However I would run the serial number of the machine through Apple's warranty checker, to definitively know the when the warranty starts & ends: https://checkcoverage.apple.com

2) Press & hold the 'Alt' key as soon as you turn it on. You should see 'Macintosh HD' listed. If you see a lock icon prompting you for a password, they've set a firmware password on the machine, which means you're SOL and it's likely a stolen machine.

If that comes back OK, boot normally into the OS, click the Apple logo at the top-left, and select 'About this Mac' to verify the hardware specifications & serial number are synonymous with what you purchased.

ACOR171

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 26, 2016
1) Warranty starts from when it is purchased. However I would run the serial number of the machine through Apple's warranty checker, to definitively know the when the warranty starts & ends: https://checkcoverage.apple.com

2) Press & hold the 'Alt' key as soon as you turn it on. You should see 'Macintosh HD' listed. If you see a lock icon prompting you for a password, they've set a firmware password on the machine, which means you're SOL and it's likely a stolen machine.

If that comes back OK, boot normally into the OS, click the Apple logo at the top-left, and select 'About this Mac' to verify the hardware specifications & serial number are synonymous with what you purchased.
Thank you for your reply!
The warranty site says it will last until around June 13th 2017. The seller claims the macbook has not been used at all. It supposedly has all the plastic covers and everything on all the hardware (except for the box which is open). I was worried that the June date meant it was activated (used) around June of this year. I've also heard that if it were stolen, the warranty site would have it blacklisted. Is that true? Could it be stolen and not blacklisted on the site?
Also, if I check the battery cycles, is there anyway that was modified? Maybe the battery replaced?

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
I've also heard that if it were stolen, the warranty site would have it blacklisted. Is that true?

As far as I know, this isnt true.

Also, if I check the battery cycles, is there anyway that was modified? Maybe the battery replaced?

That's the only way I know to reset the battery cycles. Even a brand new Mac will have a few battery cycles, so I wouldn't worry too much about this.

You may want to take it into an Apple Store and have it checked over. I don't know where the liquid indicators are on the specific model you're looking at, but liquid damage is something you want to avoid.

Reactions: robvas

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Could it be stolen and not blacklisted on the site?

Yep. Bottom line when buying a Mac like this there is no certain way to be sure it is not stolen. It is a bit of a risk.

What I would do is have the seller meet you in the lobby of the local police station and tell them you plan to have the police run the serial number to see if it has been reported stolen. Some police departments will do this for you and some won't. Either way, if you tell the seller this plan and he is a no show... I guess you have your answer.

You might want to run the Apple Hardware Test on it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1509

Reactions: JTToft
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.