Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seahawk09

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2007
Canada
I have been wondering now that i have my K10D DSLR on order, what can I do with my old Pentax P30T SLR I asked at my local camera store and they dont take trade in's anymore:( the only thing I could think of is give it to the store for part's. the way's of old developing is long gone except for a couple of old SLR's that are still in use. Oh well I am sure to find a good home for it somewhere.:)

jpfisher

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2006
New Jersey
I have been wondering now that i have my K10D DSLR on order, what can I do with my old Pentax P30T SLR I asked at my local camera store and they dont take trade in's anymore:( the only thing I could think of is give it to the store for part's. the way's of old developing is long gone except for a couple of old SLR's that are still in use. Oh well I am sure to find a good home for it somewhere.:)

Try selling it. There are still a lot of folks out there who shoot film for fun on occasion and wouldn't mind having another body as a backup. Try the marketplace on http://www.pentaxforums.com.

Jim

lostinblue

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2004
Milwaukee, Wi
Might make you feel good to donate it to a local high school photography department. Our school had cameras to loan out if someone was in need.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I have been wondering now that i have my K10D DSLR on order, what can I do with my old Pentax P30T SLR

There are good reasons to shoot film. It still wins when it comes to image quality and some subjects like landscapes work better on film.

I shot a few rolls of transparencies on a trip a while back. I edited the few hundred slides down to just one of those round trays that fit in the projector. They really look good. People are not used to slides anymore so you can truly blow away an audience with the very bright and sharp images that are so much better then a computer projector or monitor screen.

Black and white is the other use for a film body. Yes you can do this with digital but the dynamic range of film is better. Scan the negs.

For color snapshots digital wins.

JeffTL

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2003
I keep a Canon AE-1 on my shelf, loaded and ready to go on a moment's notice. Never know when you might need a film SLR.

Edge100

macrumors 68000
May 14, 2002
Where am I???
I shoot with my 10D for the most part, but I still use my old Fujica ST-801 for black and white. As mentioned above, I don't think that digital is quite there for B&W, but for everything else, it's the 10D (well...I also use the Fujica if I know I'll need a nice wide-angle shot, even in colour...I have a good 28mm M42 mount lens for the Fujica, and to get that wide on the 10D, I'd need a 17mm)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.