Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

carbonmotion

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 28, 2004
San Francisco, CA
My D50 broke (fell, shattered), which Nikon body should I get and why?
D40, D40x, D60, or D80 (all used bodies)? (I can't afford the D90) ... I have the following lenses

NIKKOR 18-55 mm
NIKKOR 50 mm f/1.8

I did some internet research and the first page that came up was Ken Rockwell's site comparing D40 v. D80. He seems to think the D40 is better than the D80, but he also sounds like an idiot.

What do you recommend and why? Give me your expert opinion. I shoot during my travels, a lot of people in motion, night shots, street shots, and landscapes.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Max Archer

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2009
Go with the D80 if you really want to go used, it's the best of that generation in terms of consumer DSLRs.

However, the PMA show is coming up in a week or so, and Nikon's expected to unveil the long-awaited replacement for the D40. I'd hold off until we see what they release, it's expected to be comparable in performance to the D90 in terms of high-ISO performance, and rumor has it that it'll have a new, much better type of built-in flash that'll blow previous models out of the water. (They're saying it should be similar to the SB-400 external flash, with the ability to tilt for bouncing the light, and possibly with an external battery pack that'll mount in the shoe and provide extra power.)

carbonmotion

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 28, 2004
San Francisco, CA
However, the PMA show is coming up in a week or so, and Nikon's expected to unveil the long-awaited replacement for the D40. I'd hold off until we see what they release, it's expected to be comparable in performance to the D90 in terms of high-ISO performance, and rumor has it that it'll have a new, much better type of built-in flash that'll blow previous models out of the water. (They're saying it should be similar to the SB-400 external flash, with the ability to tilt for bouncing the light, and possibly with an external battery pack that'll mount in the shoe and provide extra power.)

thanks, best case scenario is this new camera depresses the price of D80s even further!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.