Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Over Achiever

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Hey, I was hoping to get some ideas as to what I can give as a gift to someone that has been in photography for several years (photos for local newspaper), and just recently upgraded to a dSLR (Pentax model). I'm looking for something under $50 ... what would my options be?

I thought about books, subscriptions to pro photosharing sites, but I'm really at a loss as to what to get them. Any ideas/recommendations?

-OA

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2004
Over Achiever said:
Hey, I was hoping to get some ideas as to what I can give as a gift to someone that has been in photography for several years (photos for local newspaper), and just recently upgraded to a dSLR (Pentax model). I'm looking for something under $50 ... what would my options be?

I thought about books, subscriptions to pro photosharing sites, but I'm really at a loss as to what to get them. Any ideas/recommendations?

-OA

Amazon.com gift card. Seriously... that $50 can help pay for an expensive lens or other important piece of gear.

I know some people don't like giving gift cards since it seems like you didn't put much thought into the gift or whatever - but gift cards can really help the reciever out. Especially if family/friends get together and all get the person gift cards to the same place.

BurtonCCC

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Wheaton/Normal, IL
I think a great gift for any photographer if you don't want to come off as "I have no idea what to get you and don't want to spend time thinking about it so I'll buy you a gift card" would be a memory card for the camera. A find having a spare SD card is very nice thing. Especially with the Nintendo Wii coming out so soon. :)

Daniel.

Karpfish

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2006
But most DSLRs take CF cards. I also wouldnt get an amazon gift card, i or any other photog i know buys lenses from amazon

Bibulous

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2005
$50 isn't going to go to far, so a gift card to Amazon or B&H would be nice to knock a bit off his next purchase.

balofagus

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2006
Ontario, Canada
Karpfish said:
But most DSLRs take CF cards. I also wouldnt get an amazon gift card, i or any other photog i know buys lenses from amazon

But the Pentax dSLRs all use SD cards ;). I think that an extra card would be better than a gift certificate, but I wouldn't reject one of those either!

extraextra

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2006
California
Karpfish said:

I've bought lenses off Amazon, there's been no problem. They've even got a nice 30-day return policy.

You could get a year subscription to Flickr for $25, if that seems like something the person be interested in. .

Karpfish

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2006
woops, im not so much on top of pentax stuff i guess. i think a flickr,pbase or smugmug membership would be nice

Over Achiever

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Thanks for the replies! I'm not so sure an extra SD card is necessary ... personally I have three SD cards and I find it a waste to switch between them. Plus she hasn't gotten into using RAW yet, so I think her card has enough capacity for now.

I did think about giftcards, and like people said, I didn't want it to seem like I didn't know what to get her (which I suppose is true). I'm not sure about getting an Amazon giftcard tho', I don't know many photogs that buy their lenses there. Many buy from B&H tho' right?

As for the websites, she currently uses multiply.com to display her photos right now. I thought she might like an upgrade to a more "professional" photo sharing site, such as SmugMug and whatnot.

Something I just thought of ... perhaps getting her a subscription to a photography magazine?

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
if they don't have a joby gorillapod, get them one of those! they're super cool. just make sure to specify that you want for dSLR, not point and shoot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.