Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kmarketing

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 26, 2004
Hi,

I just received my used nikon d60 (bought in May 2008). I have a small grace period to check everything out. This is my first dslr, and am definitely new to this world. I have so much to learn!

What should I be testing to make sure everything is in good condition?

Thanks!

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Hi,

I just received my used nikon d60 (bought in May 2008). I have a small grace period to check everything out. This is my first dslr, and am definitely new to this world. I have so much to learn!

What should I be testing to make sure everything is in good condition?

Thanks!

Mostly it will either work or it will not. If you can snap a picture and then get it into your computer then chances are very good nothing is wrong with the camera. After that...

1) cusmetic bumps and scrathes? Is it in the condidtion you paid for?
2) Shoot a few exposures using a range of shutter speeds
3) Shoot the blank sky. Do both a 2ev under and over exposure. Look at both frames at 100% or 200% and look for stuck pixels that are either bright or dark.
4) Overall condidtion. Dusk and scratch on/inside lens.
5) Do all the buttons work?
6) do filters thread on and off the lens's filter ring (they won't if the ring is dented even a small amount.
7) the battery should hold a charge and do at least 1,000 shots maybe double that.

But mostly these either work or they are dead.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
One thing you should have done before buying the camera is to ask about the number of shutter actuations. This can be checked on Nikon by taking a picture and looking at its EXIF data.

kmarketing

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 26, 2004
Hi,

Thank you for your help!

How can I check for the number of shutter actuations. Is it in the camera menu somewhere?

Thanks!

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
^^

You have to use an EXIF viewer program in the computer or online, or some other photo software with this feature.

kmarketing

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 26, 2004
Any recommendations? I've seen some for pc, how about for macs?

Thank you!

taylorwilsdon

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2006
New York City
Hi,

I just tried a picture with that site, and it gives me some info, but what exactly am I looking for? I don't see anything that specifically says "shutter actuations."

No need for that. Just take a JPG with the camera, download it to your computer, open in Preview, press apple+I (inspector) and click "Nikon" (the middle tab) and it should show you.

kmarketing

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 26, 2004
Hi,

Worked great, thanks!

It says shutter count 2471. Is that okay for a used d60? I do have the original receipt which hopefully should be good for the warranty if necessary.

Anything else I should look for?

Thanks!

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
It says shutter count 2471. Is that okay for a used d60?

That's quite low. You scored.

No need for that. Just take a JPG with the camera, download it to your computer, open in Preview, press apple+I (inspector) and click "Nikon" (the middle tab) and it should show you.

Does this feature only apply to Nikon photos? I'm not finding anything about shutter actuations for my Canon shots.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
I said this was the Nikon method. Canon is disorganized in this respect.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.