Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

summero

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2007
San Diego, CA
Hello everyone!

I've been in need of a new flash for my Canon EOS Digital Rebel and would like to know your opinions on what I should get :)

Also, what are your thoughts on the Sunpak auto383 Super?

Thanks!

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Hello everyone!

I've been in need of a new flash for my Canon EOS Digital Rebel and would like to know your opinions on what I should get :)

Also, what are your thoughts on the Sunpak auto383 Super?

Thanks!

With flashes, there are three primary criteria:

Flash strength - usually given as a Guide Number or in Watt/Seconds, W/S are harder to evaluate because they my or may not be actual. You need to figure out if you're going to be doing primary lighting, or balanced fill flash and then what power level is right for what you need to shoot (as well as how "wide" the flash goes if you're shooting with wide-angle lenses for group shots.)

Recycle time - How long does it take between shots? If you're not shooting slow formals, this will have the biggest impact on your flash shooting, especially if you're using it for fill.

Compatibility - Does the manufacturer's flash system do things that a third-party one won't? For instance, Nikon's Creative Lighting System is such an amazing beast that you really, really, really have to know what you're doing to not just get an SB600 or SB800.

The secondary criteria are a little less important:

Power source - What sort of batteries do you need? Do you need extended batteries for what you shoot and are they available?

Triggering method - What options are available to trigger the flash, especially via onboard flash, or in multiple flash situations?

Before you go too far down the path, you should spend a bunch of time at the Strobist site looking at what's pretty-much state-of-the-art in flashgun shooting, technique, equipment, and information.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Hello everyone!

What are you going to do with the strobes? Do you need it to work off camera, to sync with other lights? should it be portable. Is this for backpacking trips or for use in a studio? Macro shots or wildlife?

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
I'd be using it for just taking random photos and for vacation photos.

random photos...
that doesn't give us tons to work with, but it sounds like you're not going to need manual control or ability to have one strobe be triggering others. in that case, the Canon 430EX would be good for you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.