Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boombass

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 18, 2008
I want to buy a cheap license for Windows 10 that I can install on my Macbook using VMWare Fusion, or maybe a Bootcamp partition. I am concerned about activation. I understand that Microsoft bases activation on the hardware, and this might be a problem with a virtual machine.

I see lots of licenses being sold inexpensively on eBay, and I wonder if this would do the trick. Are they legit? Can I use one of these license keys to install Windows 10 as a virtual machine using VMWare Fusion, and if I need to install it again some day in a different virtual machine, will it work?

I guess I'm confused about Windows 10 licensing. Can anyone help me with this? What should I look for if I buy a license on eBay?

Thanks!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I see lots of licenses being sold inexpensively on eBay, and I wonder if this would do the trick. Are they legit?
I usually think of those as counterfeit. If they're being sold for a lot less then what you normally would pay, then that usually raises a red flag for me. The old adage fits here - If its too good to be true then it probably is

and if I need to install it again some day in a different virtual machine, will it work?
I've not had any issues running bootcamp and Vmware, the first time through on Vmware, I was promoted to re-activate but after calling the phone number and giving the series of numbers. I was able to reactivate no problems at all. Technically its the same computer and the same windows install, so you're within the license terms.

As for multiple VMs using the same license, I think that falls out of the license agreement.

boombass

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 18, 2008
I usually think of those as counterfeit. If they're being sold for a lot less then what you normally would pay, then that usually raises a red flag for me. The old adage fits here - If its too good to be true then it probably is

You're probably right! Any thoughts on how to pick a legitimate copy on eBay, and how much it might cost? Don't care if it's Pro or Home.

I've not had any issues running bootcamp and Vmware, the first time through on Vmware, I was promoted to re-activate but after calling the phone number and giving the series of numbers. I was able to reactivate no problems at all. Technically its the same computer and the same windows install, so you're within the license terms.

As for multiple VMs using the same license, I think that falls out of the license agreement.

I'm mainly asking for the convenience of doing a fresh install from time to time. I do have a copy of Windows 7 which I've used to upgrade to Windows 10, but that's a lot of work and I'm not sure if it would work again if I want to do a clean install. I was hoping that my Windows 7 key would allow me to do a clean Windows 10 install, but that didn't work out.

Thank you for your help!

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
I'm mainly asking for the convenience of doing a fresh install from time to time. I do have a copy of Windows 7 which I've used to upgrade to Windows 10, but that's a lot of work and I'm not sure if it would work again if I want to do a clean install. I was hoping that my Windows 7 key would allow me to do a clean Windows 10 install, but that didn't work out.

The current Windows 10 installer accepts Windows 7 keys.

Reactions: boombass
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.