Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jo.Lo

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 29, 2017
Germany
Hi folks,
After discontinuing the iPhone SE and making the 7 the new low-end device, what is to expect this fall?

The background of the question is, that my company usually offers the cheapest iPhone as business device and I could probably wait until October with my order.
I really would like to have wireless charging because I could use it in my car, that‘s why I hope for the iPhone 8.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Hi folks,
After discontinuing the iPhone SE and making the 7 the new low-end device, what is to expect this fall?

The background of the question is, that my company usually offers the cheapest iPhone as business device and I could probably wait until October with my order.
I really would like to have wireless charging because I could use it in my car, that‘s why I hope for the iPhone 8.

Your thread title is probably one of my biggest annoyances, there’s no such thing as a ‘budget’ phone with Apple. They make an entry-level iPhone, which will be the iPhone 8 once the iPhone 7 will be discontinued. That said, the next entry level iPhone in the future Will probably be the 5.4 inch iPhone rumored to be for 2020.

jo.Lo

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 29, 2017
Germany
Your thread title is probably one of my biggest annoyances, there’s no such thing as a ‘budget’ phone with Apple. They make an entry-level iPhone, which will be the iPhone 8 once the iPhone 7 will be discontinued. That said, the next entry level iPhone in the future Will probably be the 5.4 inch iPhone rumored to be for 2020.

Well, sorry. I‘m not a native speaker and didn‘t think about the correct wording that much :)

Has there been any statement from Apple or Suppliers yet if the 7 will be removed from the lineup this year?

johannnn

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2009
Sweden
Well, sorry. I‘m not a native speaker and didn‘t think about the correct wording that much :)

Has there been any statement from Apple or Suppliers yet if the 7 will be removed from the lineup this year?
No statement, but usually one new lineup in one old lineup gone.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

You don’t need to apologize, it’s just a common misconception when others label ‘budget’ for an iPhone, when Apple doesn’t manufacture anything budget in the iPhone line up.

As for the iPhone 7, it is absolutely slated to be discontinued this year, being the iPhone lineup is expanding with new models, therefore Apple discontinues the oldest model in their lineup, which would be the iPhone 7.

myscrnnm

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
Seattle, WA
I don't anticipate seeing anything new this fall as far as budget options are concerned, since that same demographic probably isn't interested in upgrading that often. If the 7 is discontinued, the 8 would probably see a price drop. But I think the XR is the real budget iPhone that also has the latest features.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.