Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

therealMasa

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2021
The iPhone 13 is barely a week old and the rumor mill is already in overdrive about its successor.

With the upgrades in cameras & processor becoming something of a diminishing return, it was the "ProMotion" on the 13 Pro models that set them apart from the vanilla model this year. If Apple decide to bring high-refresh displays to the standard 14 (and there's really no excuse why they shouldn't), what will be the main attraction of the 14 Pro & Pro Max?

Will they FINALLY bring Always-On Display to the iPhone? Truth be told, they've had the tech to do it for several years now. I understand there might be concerns about battery life, but that tradeoff should be left to the end-user. Also, the Pro Max models are beefy enough to run AOD without a significant hit to longevity. But would AOD be enough of a standout feature to sell the Pro models? There's also some theories that Apple don't want to take this USP away from the Apple Watch by adding it to the iPhone.

There is talk of the 14 Pro becoming 'notchless', with Apple replacing the notch with a punch-hole camera. It took them four years to shrink the notch 20%, how are they going to fit the selfie cam & FaceID sensors into a tiny punch-hole? Has the under-display tech advanced enough for Apple to experiment with this? Personally, I would gladly trade FaceID for an ultrasonic fingerprint sensor if it meant scrapping the notch, but I know others will feel differently. Of course it would be nice to have the best of both worlds, but that isn't the Apple way.

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
Well according to rumours, the iphone 14 series will have a redesign, so this could be considered a USP. The greater screen real estate with a punch hole camera and not notch likewise could also be a USP. For the regular iphone 14 modes, they should be getting Pro motion or some kind of lesser variant of it, which will be their USP.

JCCL

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2010
seriously doubt about the redesign or the punch hole. Those rumors seems more based on wishlists than facts. Apple tends to stick to its designs much longer. The iPad mini just adopted the new design type.

Reactions: maxrest

gsal

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2019
It’s time for Apple to show the world how a folding phone should be made. I don’t think we’re quite ready for AR glasses which will be the next great milestone in mobile computing.

Moneymiike420

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2012
The main attraction will prolly be the notch less finger punch camera on top..and probably the 120 refresh rate again

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
In the past we were all surprised by:

1. The first Retina display on iPhone 4
2. Touch ID on iPhone 5S
6. Big screens on iPhone 6 & 6+
7. The iPhone X redesign with Face ID

Since 2017 there hasn’t been any radical new tech added to iPhone, so 2022 (iPhone 14) will have been 5 years of pretty much the same thing. (5G on iPhone 12 wasn’t a surprise but an inevitable upgrade).

They’ve surprised us in the past — it’s possible they’ll do it again

dstew201

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2016
Maybe improved front facing camera along with notchless design and under glass touchID?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.