Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hana

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 23, 2003
Los Angeles
Okay..here's my tools...

1. Rebel xt
2. iphoto
3. Adobe Photoshop Elements 3.

What should my workflow be?
(given these tools)

I am now shooting in RAW.
Objective is (know that I really don't know how to manipulate RAW at all) to take the raw photos, do a little manipulation and then convert to JPEG (sometimes black and white) for amateur publishing. I should also mention that most of my photos are done indoors, no flash allowed....... assume kit lens.

Elements seems to convert to JPEG2000 but not JPEG

Thanks...

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
hana said:
Okay..here's my tools...

1. Rebel xt
2. iphoto
3. Adobe Photoshop Elements 3.

What should my workflow be?

FIrst you have to ask yourself __why__ you are using raw format. There are several good reasons to shoot raw Maybe you simply want a "safty net" in case you under or over expose or perhaps you highly manipulate your images so they are not literal interpetations of the scene.

Once you know _why_ well enough that you can write it down (writting is always a good test.) thne yo can think abot what to do.

hana

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 23, 2003
Los Angeles
jared_kipe said:
Whats wrong with your current flow?

I'm wondering if people could give me some feedback in improving it based on the tools I have. For instance, is there something I'm missing where Elements can save a RAW file into JPEG directly?

hana

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 23, 2003
Los Angeles
ChrisA said:
FIrst you have to ask yourself __why__ you are using raw format. There are several good reasons to shoot raw Maybe you simply want a "safety net" in case you under or over expose or perhaps you highly manipulate your images so they are not literal interpetations of the scene.

Once you know _why_ well enough that you can write it down (writting is always a good test.) thne yo can think abot what to do.

Yes....
1. I want a safety net since some of the involves the "no flash photos rule"
2. I figure in the future if I ever get more skilled at using Photoshop type software, I'll be able to go back to the RAW files and make them better looking.
3. It's also usually candid photography (with permission) that I often don't have time to set up the shot well.

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
hana said:
Yes....
1. I want a safety net since some of the involves the "no flash photos rule"
2. I figure in the future if I ever get more skilled at using Photoshop type software, I'll be able to go back to the RAW files and make them better looking.
3. It's also usually candid photography (with permission) that I often don't have time to set up the shot well.
Indoors I always would shoot raw if you're not using a flash, but not for the reasons you give. I have yet to find a camera that can accurately predict the white point of anything but sunlight. RAW makes for changing white much easier.

hana

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 23, 2003
Los Angeles
Well, this falls under workflow again...so instead of making another thread, I'll post in my old thread....

Question: Why doesn't iphoto recognize a JPEG2000 file?
I was trying to take the Raw file, modify it with Adobe RAW that comes with Photoshop Elements 3 and it doesn't convert to JPEG, but JPEG 2000.

So, I had to change my workflow where:
1. Import to iphoto
2. Back up those files (to storage drive and also DVD)
3. Take the keepers and export to another folder (call it folder "Keepers")
4. Run keepers through Canon's Digital Photo Professional (I'm just learning about it and if anyone knows of any online tutorials or books about it, please let me know).
5. Have CDPP export to JPEG.
6. Review files in elements and make a few more adjustments.

Comments...questions...feedback....answers?

my work flow depends on what im shooting and the reasons behind it

its more intensive when im doing it for myself and my personal projects

if its just a party or gathering, its normally
jpeg
import
iview to catalog - (upgrading to aperture once i get my butt in gear to actually do it)
ps - if need be
save
back up - hd
back up - another hd

cookie1105

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2006
London, UK
Here is a good dpp tutorial.

hana said:
So, I had to change my workflow where:
1. Import to iphoto
2. Back up those files (to storage drive and also DVD)
3. Take the keepers and export to another folder (call it folder "Keepers")
4. Run keepers through Canon's Digital Photo Professional (I'm just learning about it and if anyone knows of any online tutorials or books about it, please let me know).
5. Have CDPP export to JPEG.
6. Review files in elements and make a few more adjustments.

This sounds very complicated. May I make a suggestion.
1.import to Photoreviewer using image capture
2.Review photos
3. Adjust and save to jpg using DPP
4. Do any work that needs doing in PS
5. Backup
6.(opt.) import shoot into iphoto

hana

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 23, 2003
Los Angeles
captainbrendo said:
Why not try programs like Bibble, Aperture or Lightroom to simplify your workflow?

Because....right now.... I am trying to save up for the next great Mac :D
Oh and as for Lightroom, I don't think it will run so good on my G4 1Ghz.

Hmmm.... no one have an answer to my "Why won't iPhoto recognize JPEG2000 files Adobe Photoshop Elements 3 puts out?

How about another question involving my now working with the original RAW files......

In Preview, in the image editor, there is something called "Gamma". What is that slider adjusting and where do I find it in iphoto, Elements 3 or DPP?

hana

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 23, 2003
Los Angeles
iGary said:
I can't believe none of you burn a DVD/CD straight off.

Gary, that's a good point and reminder.
Especially to someone like me with the aging G4 1ghz machine who has
1. Already lost an external drive (started making a wierd clicking noise)
2. During the Northridge earthquake my home brewed PC tower fell down and the hard drive died.

Using the RAW format, I admit to burning more DVDs nowadays than CDs. With the 1x burner my machine has, I admit it's something I have it do while I'm eating dinner.

snap58

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2006
somewhere in kansas
iGary said:
I can't believe none of you burn a DVD/CD straight off.

Damn good point.

Having more than one computer I download to on one computer and use IView Media Pro. Then I down load it on another using Aperture. Aperture is set to back up to a vault on and external drive. The other computer is set to copy the picture drive to an external every other day. And then, (just in case the house burns down) I drag a drive with everything on it into work every couple months.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Well the DVD/CD thing (in addition to regular back ups) has always been good for me, because I just put them into the fire safe. God forbid the house burns down or in the unlikely event that both computers blow up and take the external with them...I have a digital negative.

beatle888

macrumors 68000
Feb 3, 2002
hana said:
I'm wondering if people could give me some feedback in improving it based on the tools I have. For instance, is there something I'm missing where Elements can save a RAW file into JPEG directly?

if you are using RAW (assuming to enhance quality). then why would you save to JPEG which compresses and degrades the image?

im not sure what rebel is but this is what i would do, though it depends on what your work flow is trying to accomplish.

open the raw in photoshop, use the raw dialog to tweak the exposure and color to your liking and save it as a TIFF. done.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.