Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AttticRat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 22, 2024
Below is my personal Apple stack! What would you upgrade next if you were in my shoes?
  1. 2021 16" Macbook Pro M1 Max 32GB Memory, 512GB storage
  2. iPhone 14 Pro Max, 256GB
  3. Apple Watch Ultra
  4. iPad Air 4, 256GB
  5. AirPod Max
  6. AirPod Pro 2

coffeemilktea

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2022
The 4th generation iPad Air is the oldest device in that list, so I'd probably update that first, then the MacBook Pro (ideally to M4 whenever it comes out).

Reactions: AttticRat

wonderings

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2021
what can't do what you need it to now from your list? I am assuming none so no need to upgrade. Getting a new Apple product won't make you any happier or bring satisfaction. You will get a brief high with a new product and then you will feel exactly the same as you do now.

Reactions: Ericdjensen

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
My current Apple "stuff":

MacBook Air (M1, 2020) - No immediate plan to upgrade. Tempted by the 15" M3 Air and the 14" M3/M3pro MBP, so I might go another round whenever the M4 versions come out...even though I don't really need a new computer.

iPhone 15 pro - No plan to upgrade to the 16 pro this year. Possibly next year, especially if the 17 pro is "interesting", if not I'll probably wait for the 18 pro, at least.

iPad mini 4 - Been meaning to upgrade this for a while, but don't use it enough to justify getting an iPad Air or iPad Pro. I also kind of like the smaller form factor. Probably gonna buy when a new iPad mini gen 7 is released, especially if it comes with an A17 pro or - less likely - an M-chip, and thus supports Apple Intelligence.

Apple TV 4K (2nd gen) - No plan to upgrade.

2 x HomePod (2nd gen) - No plan to upgrade.

HomePod mini - Might get another one to pair with the one on the kitchen, to get stereo.

Apple Watch Series 8 41mm - Probably going to upgrade to an "X" this fall (and then my partner inherits the old one). A bit uncertain because of the size rumors (I don't want a 45 mm if it's as bulky as the current one).

Airpods Pro 2 - Just bought these, to see if I liked the form factor. And if I like them after some use I'll probably get the Airpods Pro 3, whenever they come out (and them my partner inherits these old ones, too).

What you might want or need to upgrade is up to you... ;)

wonderings

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2021
I got:

MacBook Air (M1, 2020) - No immediate plan to upgrade. Tempted by the 15" M3 Air and the 14" M3/M3pro MBP, so I might go another round whenever the M4 versions come out...even though I don't really need a new computer.

iPhone 15 pro - No plan to upgrade to the 16 pro this year. Possibly next year, especially if the 17 pro is "interesting", if not I'll probably wait for the 18 pro, at least.

iPad mini 4 - Been meaning to upgrade this for a while, but don't use it enough to justify getting an iPad Air or iPad Pro. I also kind of like the smaller for factor. Probably gonna buy when a new gen 7 is released, especially if it comes with an A17 pro or - less likely - an M-chip, and thus supports Apple Intelligence.

Apple TV 4K (2nd gen) - No plan to upgrade.

2 x HomePod (2nd gen) - No plan to upgrade.

HomePod mini - Might get another one to pair with the one on the kitchen, to get stereo.

Apple Watch Series 8 41mm - Probably going to upgrade to an "X" this fall (and then my partner inherits the old one). A bit uncertain because of the size rumors (I don't want a 45 mm if it's as bulky as the current one).

Airpods Pro 2 - Just bought these, to see if I liked the form factor. And if I like them after some use I'll probably get the Airpods Pro 3, whenever they come out (and them my partner inherits these old ones, too).

What you might want or need to upgrade is up to you... ;)
You say yourself you don't really need a new computer, so why do it? What are you getting out of it? What are you gaining other then spending money for the sake of spending money?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Below is my personal Apple stack! What would you upgrade next if you were in my shoes?
  3. Apple Watch Ultra
  4. iPad Air 4, 256GB
  5. AirPod Max
  6. AirPod Pro 2
May I borrow your shoes for a while? Everything on your list is either newer (to me) or stuff I don't have. I'm not jealous, just pointing out a fact. :)

It's interesting though because your stuff is pretty current, or at least things most people might have right now. Here's what I have…

1. 2009 Mac Pro 5,1 - 56GB Ram, 2x 6TB Hard Drives, 1x 1TB SSD, 1x 2TB SSD -> 15TB total storage. Running Sonoma 14.5 via OCLP.
  2. iPhone 11 Pro Max, 512GB
  3. No Apple Watch, although I have my family's late 1800s pocket watch.
  4. iPad 6th Gen, 128GB
  5. No Airpods. I've really grown to hate sticking things in my ear. I use AfterShokz Aeropex which is an over the ear bone conduction headset. Bluetooth.
  6. Just to throw this in…2 x 30" Apple Aluminum Cinema Displays (as part of a six display setup attached to my Mac Pro).

I do have a 2015 MBP with 16GB ram and a 256GB SSD, but that's not mine. It's work issued. My wife has the same model with the same ram (bought used off eBay earlier this year). The difference between her Mac and my work Mac is that mine is running High Sierra and hers is running Monterey.

And finally, there is the primary work Mac, a 2023 13" M2 MacBook Pro running Sonoma. Again, not mine. I'll leave out the rest of the 20 some odd Macs, PCs and devices since none are newer than my Mac Pro and my iPhone.

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
Looking at your list.. only possible thing I'd update is the iPad. Rest is perfectly fine and serviceable.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I never upgrade for the sake of upgrading. Whichever upgrade would improve your work/quality of life is the one to replace. Find the bottleneck.
This. When stuff no longer works or no longer works effectively, then replace. Otherwise just keep on using them and enjoying them.

If money is burning a hole in your pocket look to invest, save or buy assets that appreciate not depreciation like a house etc.

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
I’ll trade in my iPad mini 5 to the new iPad Air 11” probably, but are considering the iPad too, soon, before the end of the year at least.
I need the newer more than the older, and the iPad mini 6 is 2 years, and it won't get younger, though it still serves all my needs.
What if Apple comes out with a new iPad mini pro at coming event, wow!

Anyway, I will do it before Apple gives me nothing for the 5, before the end of this year.

Don’t tell me to sell it private etc. Nah, I stopped doing that long time ago. It saves me time and energy to let Apple take what I no longer need, when I buy new things, and give me something for it.

MPclk2006

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2013
Texas
  3. Apple Watch Ultra
  4. iPad Air 4, 256GB
  5. AirPod Max
  6. AirPod Pro 2
I would update the iPad but that’s just me. i have an iPad Pro 2020 which I see no need to upgrade, but I have a 2017 MacBook Pro that doesn’t really hold a charge so that’s getting upgraded next.

WC7

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2018
I think my ancient Apple Watch ... definitely, especially if the new Watch redesign rumor is true.
Also, the iPhone since I am on that iPhone yearly replacement plan.
My iMac to an M4 iMac.
Then it becomes iffy whether I will also go for a new Mac mini (if the new redesign is really good).
Why an iMac and a Mac mini? One for one room another for another room.

Reactions: MPclk2006

MPclk2006

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2013
Texas
I think my ancient Apple Watch ... definitely, especially if the new Watch redesign rumor is true.
Also, the iPhone since I am on that iPhone yearly replacement plan.
My iMac to an M4 iMac.
Then it becomes iffy whether I will also go for a new Mac mini (if the new redesign is really good).
Why an iMac and a Mac mini? One for one room another for another room.
I like your thinking. It helps me feel better about just upgrading my 2017 MacBook even though I have a 2020 iMac, why? I can’t move the iMac and go to another room like a macbook.

Reactions: WC7

WC7

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2018
Still modifying my list ... definitely the iPhone 16 (not Pro for me), the Apple Watch 10, and a new iMac M4 when released (base model). Maybe, most likely, because I have the 4k monitor and standard HD monitor, etc. for a new Mac mini. And now, I think I saw a rumor about a new iPad mini??

A Ruffian

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2024
I don’t see any that need to be upgraded, except maybe the iPad, personally.
Here’s my list -

1 - iPhone 11 Pro Max, 256 GB
2 - Apple Watch Series 7
3 - AirPods Pro 2

WC7

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2018
Getting ready to order the iPhone 16, also the Watch, and the AirPods 4(ANC).

Then iMac(to M4) and Mac mini(M4) when available.

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
  3. Apple Watch Ultra
  4. iPad Air 4, 256GB
  5. AirPod Max
  6. AirPod Pro 2

Why upgrade any of it?
Keep using it all if it serves you well

Super wasteful to just be upgrading for the sake of doing so

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.