Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mathias Denichi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 21, 2013
The Smart Keyboard is nice, but could use some major improvements. Here is what I would like:

• Thinner profile when closed, not a big fan of the keyboard lump on one side.
  • More angles for the iPad when typing.
  • Better magnetic sticking when in tablet mode, similar to the Smart Cover snapping to the back.
  • Better shortcut keys, Logitech has done these as well as an esc key.
  • More colors. The gray has been pretty boring.
What would you like in the next iteration, and do you see it coming for the next iPad Pro 2?

Reactions: sracer

Devyn89

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2012
  • Row of function keys (brightness, home, volume - similar to what they have on mac keyboards)
  • Backlighting
  • New Colours
  • Cheaper price (not holding my breath on this one but it is what I would like to see)

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
The Smart Keyboard is nice, but could use some major improvements. Here is what I would like:

• Thinner profile when closed, not a big fan of the keyboard lump on one side.
  • More angles for the iPad when typing.
  • Better magnetic sticking when in tablet mode, similar to the Smart Cover snapping to the back.
  • Better shortcut keys, Logitech has done these as well as an esc key.
  • More colors. The gray has been pretty boring.
What would you like in the next iteration, and do you see it coming for the next iPad Pro 2?
All reasonable requests. But I think it will be physically difficult if not impossible to do those things. The iPad Pro itself doesn't have an integrated kickstand so that keyboard cover has to provide that capability which severely limits what can be done. But if it is possible, those would be great modifications.

I'd like to see an additional smart connector on the iPad Pro to support orienting the iPad in portrait mode.

Re: magnets in tablet mode, I usually detach the keyboard cover, flip it over and reattach it so that the microfiber side is facing the back of the iPad and the cover is facing outward.

Reactions: RevTEG

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
Smart cover fabric souffle is a testament to how great the surface kickstand approach is. The smart cover is passable at 9.7" but is awful at 12.9".

Mathias Denichi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 21, 2013
All reasonable requests. But I think it will be physically difficult if not impossible to do those things. The iPad Pro itself doesn't have an integrated kickstand so that keyboard cover has to provide that capability which severely limits what can be done. But if it is possible, those would be great modifications.

I'd like to see an additional smart connector on the iPad Pro to support orienting the iPad in portrait mode.

Re: magnets in tablet mode, I usually detach the keyboard cover, flip it over and reattach it so that the microfiber side is facing the back of the iPad and the cover is facing outward.
It would require either a kick stand in the iPad, which won't happen, or a kickstand in a case covering the back. Apple could have the Smart Keyboard and back cover with adjustable kick stand all together, to which would actually lower the thickness profile rather than have a bump.

The only way this is happening, is if they make the Smart Keyboard just a touch screen keyboard. Then it would use the two finger selector shortcut, not a cursor.

Reactions: sracer

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
It would require either a kick stand in the iPad, which won't happen, or a kickstand in a case covering the back. Apple could have the Smart Keyboard and back cover with adjustable kick stand all together, to which would actually lower the thickness profile rather than have a bump.
Sounds like you are advocating for an ultra-slim version of Logitech's Logi Blok case+keyboard. That's what I'd prefer.

Reactions: RevTEG

Eric5273

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2009
New Jersey
I want hard keys like the keyboard for the Microsoft Surface. I went through 2 ASKs in less than 6 months, both times the lettering on some of the keys began to wear off. Other than that, I think a row of function keys would be nice.

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
No matter what anyone states .....trackpad is necessary.........
[doublepost=1492628923][/doublepost]

I replaced my large ipad pro with the samsung chromebook plus simply because i can do more, enjoy android apps, and have full trackpad support with a full os in a nice compact design.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
Bring back the Keyboard dock? It was really nice typing papers out on my 3 with the entire page fullscreen on a portrait-size screen.

masotime

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
No trackpad.

If I wanted a trackpad I would use a 12" MacBook.
[doublepost=1492703967][/doublepost]I think backlighting and an ESC key are things I would like in the keyboard. The backlighting should not come at the cost of reduced battery life however. Additional angles would also be nice, but not at the cost of compactness and weight.

Frankly the Smart keyboard is pretty excellent as it is. The very fact that it has no trackpad syncs very well with the touch-based nature of iOS. The reduced distance to the screen means that the "gorilla arm" effect becomes much less of an issue. However, the key spacing reduction compared to a full-sized keyboard means that backlighting would help a lot in the dark, since it's hard to figure out (as a touch-typist) where exactly the keys are without an initial reference point.

However, I would not object to mouse or external trackpad support. Key word is external, the smart keyboard should not get any wider (face to screen) than it already is.

Last edited:

Wackery

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2015
a better design so that when the keyboard is deployed, the fabric side isnt on the bttom collecting all the dirt below it

clubtech

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2009
No matter what anyone states .....trackpad is necessary.........
[doublepost=1492628923][/doublepost]

I replaced my large ipad pro with the samsung chromebook plus simply because i can do more, enjoy android apps, and have full trackpad support with a full os in a nice compact design.
This. I have done exactly the same.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.