Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

diegotheplantboy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 30, 2019
I used to purchase decal/stickers to put on my old intel based Macbook pros because I ardently dislike the grease build ups on the aluminum bodies (I think the trackpad is glass? not sure).

I can easliy find cool stickers for those old macbook pros, and have found some clear ones for my 14" silicon one but does anyone know if there are websites with fun desgins anymore? I wonder why it's been hard for me to find these in the way they were available for old macbooks.

sevoneone

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2010
DBrand is probably your best bet, but I have not seen skins for anything other than the lid/display back for a while. The top case of MacBooks (that is the part around the keyboard and trackpad, not the display) is an integrated part of the cooling solution for the system. The entire palm rest is basically a big passive cooler for the very energy dense battery right underneath it. Adding a layer of insulating plastic/vinyl just does not seem like a good idea.

Aside from that, anything you could stick on is more likely to gum up with grime, cause issues, and will be much more difficult to clean than wiping down the your bare Mac periodically with a microfiber cloth.

A good cloth and a 70% rubbing alcohol/water solution should be able to remove any dirt/grime/grease from your Mac.

The textured glass of the trackpad is essentially wear proof. Short of scrubbing it with sandpaper, cleaning it should bring it back to like new every time.

Contact with your skin, any jewelry you wear and other objects will slowly wear/polish the original finish on the aluminum. That’s why you find those slick spots on the palm rests of MacBooks after years of use. It can feel slick, but it isn’t from grease as long as you clean your Mac regularly.

Reactions: James.K.Polk

Purrific

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2023
Decal girl has MacBook skins which cover the inside - it‘s an option in the dropdown. See the example. I have used them for my kindle, and they're really nice skins.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.