Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spaceboots06

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 13, 2009
The Rotten Apple
Hello,

Right now I have a Sony point and shoot, I think it's 8.1 MP. It's a good digital camera for bringing to parties and whatnot but I want to get into DLSR cameras. I have about $300 to spend as of right now and ~$75 more if I sell the point and shoot. (WTF I just Amazon searched it (DSC W 150) and it's +$300 in the color I have.) I don't remember spending that much on it... Whatever...

Anyway, I'm looking for insight as to what a good camera would be. Nikon, Sony, hmm? I still have to learn about lenses and such but I think I'll be sticking with the default one they give you or whatever. I have a mini tripod already.

So, what do you guys suggest I do/get?

Thanks in advance!

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
Just about the only camera you'll be able to find in that range would be the Nikon D40 with the kit lens. It runs for about $400, it is an older dSLR but it is pretty good for the price and should serve you well. If you wanted to get a better one save up some more money and try to get either the Canon Digital Rebel T1i or the Nikon D5000.

Ruahrc

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
iBookG4's got it right- I hate to say it but $375 isn't really going to be enough to pick up even an entry level DSLR with a kit lens, unless you get a used model. I'd say you'd have a little more saving up to do.

Rumors has it that the successor to the D40 is going to be announced pretty soon (i.e. within a month or two) so if you keep on saving maybe you'll have enough saved up when they announce the new camera. The consensus is that it will be named the D4000 indicating its status relative to the D5000.

Ruahrc

spaceboots06

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 13, 2009
The Rotten Apple
Just about the only camera you'll be able to find in that range would be the Nikon D40 with the kit lens. It runs for about $400, it is an older dSLR but it is pretty good for the price and should serve you well. If you wanted to get a better one save up some more money and try to get either the Canon Digital Rebel T1i or the Nikon D5000.

I think my cap would be $650ish. Does that change anything?

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
I think my cap would be $650ish. Does that change anything?

It does, with that budget I would get the Canon Digital Rebel XSi which is a nice camera for right around that price range. The D5000 goes for about $750 or so and it would be a better camera, but it is a lot more than your initial budget so only get it if you really wanted to go all out.

spaceboots06

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 13, 2009
The Rotten Apple
It does, with that budget I would get the Canon Digital Rebel XSi which is a nice camera for right around that price range. The D5000 goes for about $750 or so and it would be a better camera, but it is a lot more than your initial budget so only get it if you really wanted to go all out.

Fantastic. I'll check these two out. I'm eyeing the Digital Rebel XSi on Amazon, it's going at $670 with a EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens. I have no idea what kind of lens that is though.

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
Fantastic. I'll check these two out. I'm eyeing the Digital Rebel XSi on Amazon, it's going at $670 with a EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens. I have no idea what kind of lens that is though.

The 18-55mm is a pretty sharp lens (As is the Nikon kit lens as well), it will cover your wide to normal range. You'll need to get something like a 70-300mm to cover your telephoto or close up shots.

spaceboots06

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 13, 2009
The Rotten Apple
The 18-55mm is a pretty sharp lens (As is the Nikon kit lens as well), it will cover your wide to normal range. You'll need to get something like a 70-300mm to cover your telephoto or close up shots.

So macro shots would be out of the question until I bought another lens (which would run me how much?)? Sorry for the onslaught of questions...

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
So macro shots would be out of the question until I bought another lens (which would run me how much?)? Sorry for the onslaught of questions...

It can focus pretty close and you'll get near macro shots with the 18-55mm although it is not a true macro lens. You get about 1/3 life size shots with that lens, so it should satisfy most macro needs.

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
THANK YOU! And sorry for bombarding you once again! Now I understand what you wrote. I guess 1/3 of something would be a little underwhelming...?

No problem, glad to help :)

And I think you should actually try out the lens before you say that, it can focus surprisingly close. While it is not a 'true' macro lens, it will get you pretty close and you can get a close up filter to get you the rest of the way to a true macro.

luminosity

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Arizona
Look to Pentax. The K20D is an outstanding camera, has come down in price and when the K30D comes out soon, it'll drop further still.

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
Nikon D40
Canon XS(i)
Pentax K20D, K2000
Sony a350 or lower
Olympus e-520 or lower

lens selection is not an issue as long as the lenses you'd get are available, third party or not, and at a price you can possibly afford.

thomahawk

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2008
Osaka, Japan
i'd like to highly insist on the Nikon D40, its cheap and its a great camera. especially for beginners. as you work your way up and feel that you need more. then get a better higher up camera

for canon. the rebel XSi/450d is great but try look for a rebel xti off craigslist or something. its cheaper and its also a great camera.

good luck!

kenned

macrumors member
May 16, 2008
Denmark
+1 for the D40. It's a great camera, not too heavy, feels great in my hands and takes pretty good pictures (Depending on the lens used ofc.)

The only reason i upgraded to a canon 450D was because i found it used for 1/4 of new price with the receipt

ArtandStructure

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2008
Klamath Falls, Oregon
i'd like to highly insist on the Nikon D40, its cheap and its a great camera. especially for beginners. as you work your way up and feel that you need more. then get a better higher up camera

for canon. the rebel XSi/450d is great but try look for a rebel xti off craigslist or something. its cheaper and its also a great camera.

Seconded on both counts.

If you are looking at the Canon XSi try finding an XTi instead. The specification differences are generally negligible and you will save a good bit of money you can put toward an additional lens/flash or other accessory...which is really what you should be doing if you want to get into a DSLR and play/learn.

...which leads me to seconding the suggestion of a Nikon D40. It is an excellent camera for a good deal less than even the Canon XTi. In fact, you could buy the Nikon D40 and a 55-200 VR lens for the price of an XTi.

I purchased a D90 a few months ago to replace my D40, but 90%+ of the photos currently on my site are from the D40. I print them beautifully up to 12x18 and have them on display/sale in a gallery.

Again I can not stress enough, whether you go Canon or Nikon, save money and buy another lens or accessory.

All the best,

Jesse Widener
Art and Structure

ggibson913

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2006
I suggest something a little different

Instead of the D40 I would recommend the D60. It doesn't cost very much more and you get Vibration Reduction built in as well as the 18-55 mm AF VR lens included. You can find some great deals on e-bay if you look. You also get 10 MP instead of 6. It could make a difference when if you tend to want to crop photos alot. Bear in mind that DSLR photography is not cheap photography. It won't be too long before you are looking at new lenses.

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
Instead of the D40 I would recommend the D60. It doesn't cost very much more and you get Vibration Reduction built in as well as the 18-55 mm AF VR lens included. You can find some great deals on e-bay if you look. You also get 10 MP instead of 6. It could make a difference when if you tend to want to crop photos alot. Bear in mind that DSLR photography is not cheap photography. It won't be too long before you are looking at new lenses.

note: VR isn't built into the D60 body, but rather the D60 comes with a VR version of the 18-55 lens, whereas the D40 doesn't.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
People really need to do searches. This topic comes up every 4 days.

In the Nikon camp: Their product selection is weak. The severely outdated D40 is their only option. The D60 is not worth the extra cost. The D90 is out of your price range. The D5000 is their latest model but still out of range.

Canon: they have a more robust selection to pick from. I personally use the XSi. But you can go find a XTi or XS for cheaper.

Buschmaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2006
Minnesota
Personally I wouldn't go with Pentax because the lens availability is much better for Canon and Nikon.
I'm barely ever on this section anymore but WOW I'm surprised to see this comment!

Any lens that's ever been made for a Pentax camera can mount on a Pentax camera. What's this mean? There is a CRAPLOAD of glass available for Pentax, and at great prices as well due to the extremely high amounts of supply.

waterskier2007

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2007
Novi, MI
i don't mean to thread jack but i have also been looking into DSLRs. i currently have a panasonic lumix, which is a nice digital camera with a 12x optical zoom and decent burst mode.

anyways i am currently looking at two options.

first the nikon d60 kit which comes with the body, an 18 to 55 mm lens, a 55-200 mm lens, and a 4gb sdhc card

Nikon D40

the second option is

a sony alpha300 which comes with the body, an 18 to 70 mm lens, and a 55 to 200 mm telephoto lens.

Sony alpha300

both options cost $699.

does anyone have any opinions on these options

also for the OP here is a cool site i found about cameras and it goes really in depth about how they work and all the terminology
Camera Tutorials

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.