Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which One

• Bridge

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • iphoto

Votes: 5 55.6%

• Total voters

b0tt094

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 2, 2006
This is for the people who own both, Im just wondering before i switch my library over

adrianblaine

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2006
Pasadena, CA
It really depends on what you are hoping to accomplish. Bridge cannot do minor photo enhancement like iPhoto, but iPhoto saves that enhanced photo as a new file, doubling the space used by that photo. If you use photoshop to enhance pictures from Bridge, you loose the original photo which iPhoto keeps (non-destructive). I would go with Lightroom or Aperture. Both are "better" than Bridge or iPhoto, in my opinion...

HckySo

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2006
turn around
Adobe Bridge is completely different than iPhoto, Lightroom and Aperture. Bridge just browses your folders on your hard drive and handles RAW. If you're big in using Photoshop than Bridge is great. iPhoto, Lightroom and Aperture is like a whole separate program. Bridge is just so you can browse your folders to open photos in Photoshop.

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
It really depends on what you are hoping to accomplish. Bridge cannot do minor photo enhancement like iPhoto, but iPhoto saves that enhanced photo as a new file, doubling the space used by that photo. If you use photoshop to enhance pictures from Bridge, you loose the original photo which iPhoto keeps (non-destructive). I would go with Lightroom or Aperture. Both are "better" than Bridge or iPhoto, in my opinion...

I was under the impression that when browsing DNGs in Bridge, if one were to open a file, edit it in photoshop, then save it as a PSD, the original DNG would preserved. Am I wrong?

HckySo

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2006
turn around
I was under the impression that when browsing DNGs in Bridge, if one were to open a file, edit it in photoshop, then save it as a PSD, the original DNG would preserved. Am I wrong?

I'm sure he was talking about JPG pictures because when you change a RAW file in photoshop, you can always revert back to the original.

adrianblaine

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2006
Pasadena, CA

True, but that also increases hard drive space. My impression is that Aperture (and lightroom I believe) remember the changes you made to the picture and only saves a preview image of those changes limiting the space used. So when you recall an image you enhanced, it re-applies those settings for when you want to export it at full quality.

All other options result in 2 high quality large images instead of 1.

EDIT: and for the record, not that it matters, but I disagree with the whole poll thing. They are completely different programs meant to accomplish different things. You can't say one is better than the other.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
You can do a lot of things with Bridge but neither does everything that the other does.

You cannot really edit photos with Bridge, though you can do simple things like rotating the image and editing extra file information, such as copyright, on a number of photos at a time.

You can somehow create collections to organise your photos but I'm not sure how and that would be the closest thing to what you seem to want.

Also, since Bridge is supposed to work over multiple applications, you can assign file associations to various applications, including those not from Adobe. You can select an external editor with iPhoto but it doesn't look at folders, only the various shoots in your library.

Since Bridge comes with Adobe products, including Photoshop Elements, it'll help you open the file in those applications easily. However, because it's a separate application, it does require some system overhead and take some extra time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.