Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

levelfal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 29, 2010
I have a Canon EOS 300D slr with a 18-55mm lens. I've taken a few shots recently and I'm getting this weird tree like effect in the bottom corners of the shot. Can I get it cleaned or is it time for a new lens?

large_201011240406.jpg

capoeirista

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2007
I don't know a great deal about photography, but I have done a great deal of microscopy. Could they be fungal hyphae?

They certainly look similar, hopefully someone else can give you a definitive...

jampat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2008
I have a Canon EOS 300D slr with a 18-55mm lens. I've taken a few shots recently and I'm getting this weird tree like effect in the bottom corners of the shot. Can I get it cleaned or is it time for a new lens?

large_201011240406.jpg

Haha, the tree looks like a cool watermark. You shouldn't get anything that clear from the lens. My vote is something on the sensor. Is the tree slowly growing or did it just appear one day at that size?

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA

large_201011240406.jpg

Probably fungus in the lens- no idea what it'd cost, but I'd be surprised if it weren't around the value of the lens.

Paul

jabbott

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2009

At first I thought it might be moiré from the cloth pattern, but on second thought it really does look like your lens has a fungal infection. Here and here are links that explain it further. The second link has a technique for removing it if it's on the outside of the lens. If it's on the inside of the lens, you may as well get a new one. The good news is that the 18-55mm kit lenses are cheap to replace via eBay and nowadays they come with image stabilization.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
"Things" that are in the lense (scratches, fungus) don't create hard edged artifacts in your images... things on your lense will affect overall sharpness. Generally speaking, since I'm sure someone will bring up the one exception to this.

It's easy to check, swap lenses. Borrow one from friend or rent one from a store. Or, perhaps a store will be lend you one to help pinpoint the issue if you were going to use a store's repair services.

Are you getting the exact pattern on several images? Have you confirmed that it is not part of the background that the objects are sitting on?

If you are sure it's not part of the background then it's probably on the sensor. Have you ever cleaned your sensor? Could be the marks that a q-tip swab left...?

Update: Looked again... I'd bet money (a small amount) that it is the shadows left by tiny fine hairs (like lint) on the sensor. Look at the top of your sensor for little clumps of lint.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
There is not way this is caused by something on the lens. Anying on the lens would not focus on the sensor. The simplest way to prove this is to swap lenses. Looks to me like something is on the sensor.

Ty an experiment: place a small object on a lens filter, say a very small sliver of post-it note. It will NOT form a sharp image in itself and may not even be noticeable at all even if place dead center on the lens

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
Looks like dust attracted by static electricity and fungal. Which one - I'm not sure - hope its the dust.

JennaLDS

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2009
Utah!
Mine was doing something like that before too, I have not noticed it recently, but my friends lap top was doing it, and still is. It is all around the corners of the screen. I think it is dust and dirt mixed with the heat of the screen and static.

gnd

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2008
At my cat's house
I also think something this sharp can not possibly be on the lens. Try using the smallest aperture possible and see if it becomes even more pronounced. I think it's something on the sensor.

Abraxsis

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2003
Kentucky
This is fungus for sure. Inspect the lens with a bright flashlight, you should be able to see the fungus trails.

Being so clear, I would imagine it is on one of the rear elements.

Now the good news/bad news. Good: If it is a non-acid fungus you might be able to just have it cleaned. If it is on the most outside of the rear most element you can clean it off yourself. Bad: If it is an acidic fungus it has mostly likely eaten away the coatings and probably etched the glass element itself. In which case I would just sell it on eBay as fungi glass and make what I could from it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.