Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anubis

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 7, 2003
I've had my eye on two lenses for a while: the Canon 70-200mm f2.8L IS and the Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L. I've bought all of my camera equipment from amazon up to this point because they always manage to have by far the lowest prices on new equipment.

Within the last week or so, I've noticed a price explosion on Canon equipment from Amazon. For example, the 70-200mm f2.8L IS was $1449 on January 12th. Now the price has skyrocketed to $1699. That's a nontrivial increase of $250. The 24-70mm was $1028.99 in November. Now it's up to $1199. Both of these new Amazon prices just so happen to be the exact same price as both Adorama and B&H. Does anyone know what is going on here?

jbernie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2005
Denver, CO
As much the prices were tempting, i didnt have $1100-1500 free in the budget to take advantage of the rebates. Though it wasn't overly clear if the Amazon prices were before or after rebate, maybe I missed the fine print somewhere?

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
You should have bought a few days ago, all lenses will go up in price this month. i got a good deal on my sigma from amazon.

rogersmj

macrumors 68020
Sep 10, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
It's not just the lenses. The D90 body, for example, has gone up almost $70 in the last few weeks.

Lots of camera and lens manufacturers are raising their prices due to the crappy economy. Their costs are going up; we have to pay more.

NuclearBiscuit

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2009
I've read that the increase corresponds to the relative value of the Yen. Since this is a highly volatile currency at the moment, it's possible price will change rapidly. A poor economy does not ipso facto imply that consumer goods will increase. In fact, there is a surplus at the moment of many consumer goods. But since high-end camera gear is manufactured in Japan, if there is a large margin between currencies, it could drive prices up. It would be interesting to see what the relative cost of camera equipment from China is right now.

pprior

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2007
Also I've bought stuff from amazon that was really Adorama ("ships from"). in the past the prices were generally the same, so I typically bought from amazon instead of adorama directly because of the easier ordering. Now it seems the adorama prices are lower than those at amazon, so maybe adorama is not wanting to sell that way anymore unless they get more out of the price.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.