Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Steve Dodds

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2015
Hi.
Forgive me if this question has already been done, but I've had no luck finding the answer.
I have just upgraded my iMac and MacBook to El Capitan. Also, I have ditched Google Chrome (because it was hogging too much memory) and switched to Safari.
Logging in to Google Chrome would would mean any changes I made to it would be mirrored on another device, and I'm thinking specifically of installed extensions. Extensions I install on Chrome get installed on any device I use Chrome for. Doesn't iCloud do this for Safari? (I have ticked Safari sync in iCloud prefs on both computers).
Likewise, I want my many Mail rules on my MacBook to copy to and sync with my iMac, but they don't seem to be. I would have thought iCloud would do this too, no?
Thanks

tjwilliams25

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2014
Montana
Unfortunately, I don't think Extensions sync in Safari. The sync feature keeps bookmarks, reading lists, passwords, and everything else up to date, but not that. So you may have to do that manually. However, there is hope for your mail (if you use iCloud for your mail, that is). All you have to do is log onto http://icloud.com and go to the Mail tile. From there, you can set your Rules in the settings. This way, it will run your Rules at the server level before it hits the Mail app, so no matter which computer you are using your Rules will be applied.

Reactions: Steve Dodds

Steve Dodds

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2015
Unfortunately, I don't think Extensions sync in Safari. The sync feature keeps bookmarks, reading lists, passwords, and everything else up to date, but not that. So you may have to do that manually. However, there is hope for your mail (if you use iCloud for your mail, that is). All you have to do is log onto http://icloud.com and go to the Mail tile. From there, you can set your Rules in the settings. This way, it will run your Rules at the server level before it hits the Mail app, so no matter which computer you are using your Rules will be applied.
Thanks. Well at least I know now. I have several different email accounts which I manage all together in Mac Mail, but maybe some filtering of my mail at the server level, as you suggest, might be a better solution in the long run.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.