Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

striverdon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
Help please!!!!
I've been googling endlessly.

Basically what I'm looking for is a piece of equipment that sends the photos from my slr camera(nikon d40) to my mac just as I've taken them.
What I've seen of them (on tv) is that they usually sit in the flash shoe on top of the camera.

If anybody could tell me what this is called I'd be really greatful.

Striver (architecture student/ all around visionary)

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
If this camera uses SD Cards, you can use the Eye-Fi. It will send it to the service of your choice and even sync with your Mac/PC, from any WiFi access point.

TEG

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
If this camera uses SD Cards, you can use the Eye-Fi. It will send it to the service of your choice and even sync with your Mac/PC, from any WiFi access point.

TEG

I think he's talking about something a little more 'pro'

OP, Sorry Bud, I don't know what you're looking for, but I'd love to know once you find out. That sounds like something I could really use.

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
According to the last reply here it should work with a USB cable.

I've had discussions with another forum member who's mentioned some Nikon cameras require pay for software to allow it. Or something.

Have you tried it USB to Aperture or Lightroom, which both support tethered mode?

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
I think he's talking about something a little more 'pro'

OP, Sorry Bud, I don't know what you're looking for, but I'd love to know once you find out. That sounds like something I could really use.

What do you mean by Pro? The EyeFi is for anyone to use, and they have 3 levels, home, pro, and explore (has geotagging). You can set them to link to services or your home system.

TEG

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
What do you mean by Pro? The EyeFi is for anyone to use, and they have 3 levels, home, pro, and explore (has geotagging). You can set them to link to services or your home system.

TEG

EyeFi won't work for most DSLR's since those all mostly use Flash cards. What he's looking for is something more for a studio environment.

striverdon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
EyeFi won't work for most DSLR's since those all mostly use Flash cards. What he's looking for is something more for a studio environment.

Precisely, thou i do appreciate all your suggests. It seems like a very elite pro accessory at the moment but I'm hoping someone somewhere knows what its called.
For a better picture i tried youtube so you guys could see what exactly I'm referring to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FKYWZvteV0
look 52secs in and other times you get to see the camera, right where an external flash is usually placed.

blownco

macrumors regular
May 24, 2008
CA
i think your talking about this

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/441353-REG/PocketWizard_801_125_Plus_II_Transceiver_Radio.html

The PocketWizard Plus II Transceiver/Relay is a triggering system that offers Auto-Sensing Transceiver Technology. This technology analyzes the status of the Plus II's miniphone jacks, camera hot shoe or the TEST button to determine which mode (Transmit or Receive) to set itself. By default, the Plus II is always in Receiver mode unless it senses a trigger pulse from a camera's hot shoe. It then quickly switches to Transmitter mode. The Auto-Sensing feature can also be disabled, if necessary.
This unit can also be used as a relay. You can remotely trigger your camera, and the camera-mounted transceiver automatically relays the triggering signal to a remote flash. With the Plus II's fast switching speed, there's no loss of camera shutter speed performance or triggering delays.
Note! This is one unit only. A minimum of two units are required.
Key Features

• Backward Compatible with All Previous Pocket Wizards Compatible with PocketWizard Plus, the first 4 channels of Original Pocket Wizard, and MultiMax; it is also part of the PocketWizard Wireless Freedom system. • Triggers a Camera or Flash The powerful microprocessor will automatically trigger a camera and remote flash within 10 microseconds (1/100th of a millisecond) with its built-in Auto-Relay mode. • Keeps Up with Your Camera's Top Firing Speed The Plus II sports the fastest triggering speed in its class, at an amazing 12 fps; it can out pace the fastest D-SLR's available. • Keeps Up with Your Camera's Top Sync Speed The Pocket Wizard II will work with sync speeds of up to 1/250 second on focal plane shutter cameras, and 1/500 second on leaf shutter cameras. • Channel or Zone Firing Four selectable channels provide secure triggering. Choosing which zone to trigger (on camera flash, remote flash or both) is as easy as sliding a switch.

Attachments

• 441353.jpg
    441353.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 93

Padaung

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2007
UK
In some of the shots you can see the guy is shooting medium format, so with that in mind I would say he is shooting with the camera tethered to his Mac.
I imagine the item on the hotshoe you can see is something like this, which are very common in studio environments:

http://www.warehouseexpress.com/product/default.aspx?sku=1005163

Wireless shooting is currently mostly done with 35mm equipment, especially in eventing and sports photography set-ups. For that a Nikon user would use one of these, depending on the camera they have. Canon have their own versions...

http://www.warehouseexpress.com/product/default.aspx?sku=1023973
http://www.warehouseexpress.com/product/default.aspx?sku=1001843
http://www.warehouseexpress.com/product/default.aspx?sku=1017224

striverdon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
Blownco and Padaung those suggestions seem diamond, thanks guys.

Oh and thanks to eveyone that kept it lively before. I'm now trying to find whats industry standard and see where my needs fit in amongst the options.

What do you guys think the generic name would be?
In the 2 previous links they come under remote controls(wireless) and triggers and sync.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Blownco and Padaung those suggestions seem diamond, thanks guys.

Oh and thanks to eveyone that kept it lively before. I'm now trying to find whats industry standard and see where my needs fit in amongst the options.

What do you guys think the generic name would be?
In the 2 previous links they come under remote controls(wireless) and triggers and sync.

Just so it's clear- the things you generally see on a hot shoe are *not* for tethering the camera to a computer, they're for remotely triggering either strobes or the camera itself (or both.) For Nikon's professional cameras, they make a wireless transmitter to wirelessly tether the camera to the computer (WT1, WT2, WT2a, WT3) via 802.11a/b.

I'm pretty sure you can tether a D40 via USB, if you can do it with a cable, then you should also be able to do it with a wireless USB transmitter/receiver, though you may need a USB to mini USB adapter for the camera side.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.