Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bradonf333

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2014
I am trying to sell my late 2014 5k iMac. It's the base model but I upgraded to the 500 GB SSD. I didn't purchase any extended Apple Care, so that has run out. It's in basically perfect condition for being 2 years old. I am asking $1400 on my local craigslist website, but seems like no one is really interested. I have got a couple people offering about $1000, but that seems pretty low to me. Am I asking too much?

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Yeah I price mine a bit lower than Apple Store refurbs, but mine have a year of AppleCare left.

I expect people are wary of a 2014 model without AppleCare since there are concerns about the longevity of the 295X GPU and screen-burn in - both being very expensive repairs out of warranty.

semihat

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2016
It's hard to find the right buyer for that and i'll have to keep it in my shop until they come along. Are you looking to pawn it or sell it? Alright, will you take $750?

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
I expect people are wary of a 2014 model without AppleCare since there are concerns about the longevity of the 295X GPU and screen-burn in - both being very expensive repairs out of warranty.

That's not something I have heard apart from a couple of babbling posters in the occasional thread. The new GPUs are still running at the same temps so Apple and AMD must be pretty relaxed about it. I haven't seen any realistic info about widespread burn in.

Could inherent issues crop up in the future? Sure. But given problems aren't starting to show up now I wouldn't worry about it. Normally when these things go bad we would be starting to see an uptick in their prevalence by now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.