Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kaikidan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 3, 2017
I have a 2.6ghz 2014 Mac mini, and a Radeon XFX R9 280 vou from my old windows pc, I want to connect it to this machine, what would be the best way to proceed about it? I know I need a eGPU enclosure (don’t know if it’s easier/cheaper to find a thunderbolt 2 one or a 3 with 3 to 2 adapter) and something about disabling secure boot or something, if someone has experience in this and can give me directions, I will be very grateful!

Thanks!

Anarchy99

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2003
CA
personally, i always go with thunderboltt 3 eGPUs because it futureproofs the performance in the hypothetical scenario I upgrade to a TB3 machine in the future.

you just need to use the Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter, you cant use any other cheaper 3rd party adapters because as of writing this, Apple is the only one that makes one of these adapters that is bi-directional.

in my experience assuming you're buying a new enclosure not used from eBay etc.
nowadays its easier to find TB3 egpu enclosure compared to TB2 ones, so the good TB2 ones are practically the same price new.
that said yes you need Apple's $50 Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter, but i think its worth it for the future potential even if it may be slightly more money.

as for the setup of your mac, its really easy there are tutorials to follow i'd recommend checking out egpu.io forums there are guides, comparisons of different enclosures and you can ask for help if needed.

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
The worst solution is hp Omen. It only works with a computer that has tb3.
egpu.io had a standard section in their reviews that all egpus work with an adapter, but omen does not. And you need windows to update its firmware.

Akitio has a good reputation and is now owned by OWC.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.