Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rillrems

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 10, 2007
Canon EOS Digital Rebel xSi (EOS-450D) 12.2 Megapixel
or canon 20d

i currently have the 20d a friend of mine wants to trade with me?? Is the rebel better since the mega pixels are higher?:apple:

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
A new 20D would be more durable. The 20D has a better viewfinder (prism vs. mirror with .9x magnification vs. .87x). The 20D has a higher top shutter speed (1/8000), higher top ISO (3200), higher frame rate (5 FPS vs. 3.5). The 20D has a rear control dial.

In almost every other way than that (image quality, LCD...), the XSi is better given it's newer technology. It's also no doubt newer, right, and that throws out the 20D's advantage on durability if it's been used longer.

jampat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2008
Personally I'd stick with the 20D, but the best option may be to trade for a few weeks and see how you like the XSi. Personally, a larger screen could be handy, but I just carry enough card space to review the pictures later and delete the bad ones. Framerate matters to me, low noise matters to me a lot. I'm not sure how the noise at ISO 800 or 1600 compares between these two. I'd check out dpreview.com. I love the two control dials on the 20D. I looked at a Nikon in a store yesterday (D300 maybe?) and that thing at probably three times as many buttons as the 20D. I actually really liked how the controls were layed out on the body. It all comes down to what you are comfortable with and how you use it. If you find it easier to use the camera, more of your shots will come out good. Play with both, then decide.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.