Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

qqurioustiger8945

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 9, 2017
I've never used iTunes to backup an iPhone/iPad (didn't need to till now) but I've always used TM to backup my computer.

With TM, I know that if my MacBook is stolen, I can just buy any other Mac computer/laptop (that supports the same macOS version) and I find myself in the exact same spot I was with my (now stolen) MacBook; system-wide backup.

With iOS backups via iTunes:
a. Is it a full system backup? Or just images and videos and music, etc.
b. Is it transferable to another iPhone/iPad? (in case of theft)

Any other info on how iOS/iTunes and TM backups are different is more than welcome. Thank you. : )

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
a. Is it a full system backup? Or just images and videos and music, etc.

Yes and no. It is a backup of your user data. That includes not just media, but also device settings, app settings and app data. The only thing that is not backed up are system files, because here Apple has put measures into place that prevent you from installing older iOS versions, and downloadable data from the App Store, iTunes Store and iCloud, because these can be downloaded anyway.

b. Is it transferable to another iPhone/iPad? (in case of theft)

Yes. You can restore an iTunes backup onto another iOS device. Data that is in the backup itself is copied whereas downloadable data (e.g. apps) are downloaded automatically. Once the process is complete, you should have a more or less exact replica of your previous iOS device.

iTunes backups have the additional benefit that they are stored on your Mac and therefore backed up with Time Machine also.

Reactions: qqurioustiger8945

qqurioustiger8945

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 9, 2017
Yes and no. It is a backup of your user data. That includes not just media, but also device settings, app settings and app data. The only thing that is not backed up are system files, because here Apple has put measures into place that prevent you from installing older iOS versions, and downloadable data from the App Store, iTunes Store and iCloud, because these can be downloaded anyway.

Yes. You can restore an iTunes backup onto another iOS device. Data that is in the backup itself is copied whereas downloadable data (e.g. apps) are downloaded automatically. Once the process is complete, you should have a more or less exact replica of your previous iOS device.

iTunes backups have the additional benefit that they are stored on your Mac and therefore backed up with Time Machine also.

Thank you for this extensive response, that was very insightful : )

One more question that is sort of relevant: Can I access the files on my iPhone from iTunes on my Mac?

I know for a fact (correct me if I am wrong) I cannot use a cable to just plug my iPhone to my Mac and just mount it as an external drive on Finder.

And if I wish to stop using iCloud and/or AirDrop, I was wondering if I can access (read/write) the files on my iPhone from my MacBook via iTunes.

(I say iTunes because I am still using High Sierra)

Thanks

Brian33

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
USA (Virginia)
One more question that is sort of relevant: Can I access the files on my iPhone from iTunes on my Mac?
I may be wrong but I think in general the answer is "no" -- you can't access just any old file on the iPhone that way. For example, I don't think you can access your photos on the phone via iTunes.

(I do seem to remember there's a way to use iTunes to place files onto the phone, though; one would assume you could access those particular files with iTunes.)

!!!

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2013
In addition to what was said above, iTunes backups can be encrypted, and then they'll back up Health data and passwords.

iTunes backups cannot be natively accessed, but there are programs that can access them (like iExplorer).

Reactions: qqurioustiger8945

NickYoung

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2019
I may be wrong but I think in general the answer is "no" -- you can't access just any old file on the iPhone that way. For example, I don't think you can access your photos on the phone via iTunes.

(I do seem to remember there's a way to use iTunes to place files onto the phone, though; one would assume you could access those particular files with iTunes.)
Did you mean syncing photos or contacts via iTunes? iTunes could import these files from computer to iPhone, but not from iTunes backup.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.