Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
In 2005 I bought a 420EX Speedlite on Amazong for $175 (new from Amazon). Tonight I was helping my friend look for a Flash for her 30D and the exact same flash is now $290 from Amazon. What's up with that?!

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
Amazon isn't selling that flash. It is a private seller through Amazon marketplace selling a USED 420EX flash.

The 430EX is actually the current model and it sells new for $240.

hodgjy

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2005
There's a lot more to new flashes than just a light bulb. They have intelligent processing that pre-fires a flash to measure the amount of light before the camera ever releases the shutter. This light is evaluated and then when the camera releases the shutter, the flash is adjusted to give the best exposure.

So, while flashes from a few years ago may be cheaper, the new ones of today have more technology, and thus, higher prices.

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
There's a lot more to new flashes than just a light bulb. They have intelligent processing that pre-fires a flash to measure the amount of light before the camera ever releases the shutter. This light is evaluated and then when the camera releases the shutter, the flash is adjusted to give the best exposure.

So, while flashes from a few years ago may be cheaper, the new ones of today have more technology, and thus, higher prices.

Curiously is there a big difference between a 420EX and a 430EX, besides the name of course :) I don't mind upgrading my gear but at times companies put out "new" devices with minor changes and usually a price increase.

Ed

sjl

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
Wow :) I was looking forward to getting the 580, but this may just do the trick! Sadly, it can't act as a master :(

You don't need it to, though, unless you have two or more flashes. You hardly need a master to drive an off-camera flash if you only have one flash - it's going to be mounted on the camera. (If you want the flash off the camera, you have three choices: get the Speedlite transmitter to drive it; get a hotshoe cord; or get a 580EX or similar.)

So I see nothing wrong with getting the 430EX as the first flash, especially if it does the job you need, and adding a 580EX as the second flash down the road, should you decide to go down that path - that will let you use the 430EX as an "off the camera" flash quite happily.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.