Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ParaShot

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 15, 2016
Ankara, Turkey
Hi. You just read the question on the thread. I was planning to buy a new and my first MacBook and planning to get Pro 2017 with no bar. But everyone is talking about it's keyboard and the problems about it. I searched for this but didn't get a reliable information. So can you please explain why people don't like this (2017) model?

And for the last is it a bad decision to buy a MacBook Pro 13' right now? Should i wait for coming up '18 or is there such a thing "macbook 2018 is coming up end of this year" ? Because i read about possible Air for a cheaper price but heard nothing about new macbook pro.

Thanks in advance!

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2009
The 13” tbMBP was never a good investment to begin with and with the quad core rumors for the new 13” in June, definitely don’t get it unless you absolutely need it.

There have been complaints about the keyboard. More than usual however I think there still is selection bias. Best is to go to a store and try it out yourself. for me, the keyboard on the 15” feels better than the 13” since it’s a tad thicker. Not sure if it makes a real difference though.

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
It depends on who you ask. Some people absolutely loathe the new keyboard and will tell you it’s going to explode. Some will tell you (myself included) that they haven’t had and problems with the 2017.

No matter what you do or don’t do, or who’s opinion you value more, wait until next week for sure, as we have no idea what Apple is going to do at the Edu event.

ParaShot

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 15, 2016
Ankara, Turkey
The 13” tbMBP was never a good investment to begin with and with the quad core rumors for the new 13” in June, definitely don’t get it unless you absolutely need it.

There have been complaints about the keyboard. More than usual however I think there still is selection bias. Best is to go to a store and try it out yourself. for me, the keyboard on the 15” feels better than the 13” since it’s a tad thicker. Not sure if it makes a real difference though.

Oh. So there are some rumors about quad core for MBP in June. I was really hyped to getting a macbook now but if it's like that i think i better wait for new one.

It depends on who you ask. Some people absolutely loathe the new keyboard and will tell you it’s going to explode. Some will tell you (myself included) that they haven’t had and problems with the 2017.

No matter what you do or don’t do, or who’s opinion you value more, wait until next week for sure, as we have no idea what Apple is going to do at the Edu event.

Oh i got it then. I tried the new keyboard on my friends MacBook and i loved it. But after everyone complains about it i thought there should be some technical problem inside because i felt nothing.

Thank you for your advices.

Queen6

macrumors G4
There have been problems. How widespread, no one truly knows. You have a warranty, you’ll be fine.

In all fairness to the OP and others only as long as the warranty covers the Mac, after that your on your own. Nor are the keyboards easy or cheap to repair. We should be asking Apple to resolve the issue 100% not help push sales of a known defective product...

Bottom line is you wont be "OK" after the first year nor should AppleCare be a mandatory purchase on a "premium" notebook...

Q-6

Hi. You just read the question on the thread. I was planning to buy a new and my first MacBook and planning to get Pro 2017 with no bar. But everyone is talking about it's keyboard and the problems about it. I searched for this but didn't get a reliable information. So can you please explain why people don't like this (2017) model?

And for the last is it a bad decision to buy a MacBook Pro 13' right now? Should i wait for coming up '18 or is there such a thing "macbook 2018 is coming up end of this year" ? Because i read about possible Air for a cheaper price but heard nothing about new macbook pro.

Thanks in advance!

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
In all fairness to the OP and others only as long as the warranty covers the Mac, after that your on your own. Nor are the keyboards easy or cheap to repair. We should be asking Apple to resolve the issue 100% not help push sales of a known defective product...

Q-6

The same can be said for any product produced ever. Anyway, there are enough threads of the back and forth.

Queen6

macrumors G4
The same can be said for any product produced ever. Anyway, there are enough threads of the back and forth.

True, but let's get it out I don't hate Apple, I am however very disappointed in the direction. There is clearly a level of issue with the 2016 KB less so the 2017 KB, equally if we the users and fans accept this poor performance then we can only blame ourselves for Apple serving up more of the same :(

Prior to 2016 Mac's had a near spotless record regarding the keyboard, 2016 onwards, well anyone can search this forum and many others, nor do I believe it's related to few disgruntled customers. More likely the issue will cascade in time until Apple resolve. After the 2011 dGPU debacle I now simply believe is just another money grabbing entity with little regard for it's customers or it would have made every effort to prioritise reliability, even at the cost of loosing face...

Q-6

Reactions: raqball and csurfr

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
True, but let's get it out I don't hate Apple, I am however very disappointed in the direction. There is clearly a level of issue with the 2016 KB less so the 2017 KB, equally if we the users and fans accept this poor performance then we can only blame ourselves for Apple serving up more of the same :(

Prior to 2016 Mac's had a near spotless record regarding the keyboard, 2016 onwards, well anyone can search this forum and many others, nor do I believe it's related to few disgruntled customers. More likely the issue will cascade in time until Apple resolve. After the 2011 dGPU debacle I now simply believe is just another money grabbing entity with little regard for it's customers or it would have made every effort to prioritise reliability, even at the cost of loosing face...

Q-6

I absolutely know that you don’t. And I agree in that whatever issues that the keyboard may exhibit now or in the future will certainly be rectified. As I’ve said before I haven’t had any problems, and I don’t blame those that have of “user error”. I guess right now it’s just a waiting game.

Good video, btw. I was glad he didn’t roast any of my posts. ;)

Reactions: Queen6

Dozer_Zaibatsu

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2006
North America
I've used the 2017 MacBook and really like the keyboard. I found that it was as good to type on as any laptop keyboard I have used. I love the butterfly switches, and find that they are tactically much better than any other other model.

My bias is that I like a good, solid keyboard, and have a Nixeus mechanical keyboard I regularly use. So as a keyboard snob, I approve.

I can order any computer I want for my current job. I am currently using an older Yoga Pro, and the soft, wobbly keyboard, which inadvertently misses keystrokes or doubles them, is driving me insane.

I am really thinking about waiting to order something until I see if Apple is going to upgrade the MacBook in the next few months. Because while a Mac isn't necessarily what I need for my current job, the typing and the trackpad are so good as to make it worth it.

Last edited:

ParaShot

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 15, 2016
Ankara, Turkey
I've used the 2017 MacBook and really like the keyboard. I found that it was as good to type on as any laptop keyboard I have used. I love the butterfly switches, and find that they are tactically much better than any other other model.

My bias is that I like a good, solid keyboard, and have a Nixeus mechanical keyboard I regularly use. So as a keyboard snob, I approve.

I can order any computer I want for my current job. I am currently using an older Yoga Pro, and they soft, wobbly keyboard, which inadvertently misses keystrokes or doubles them, is driving me insane.

I am really thinking about waiting to order something until I see if Apple is going to upgrade the MacBook in the next few months. Because while a Mac isn't necessarily what I need for my current job, the typing and the trackpad are so good as to make it worth it.

I want to start learning how to code with Swift and i need a computer since my old Samsung is getting older and older now. So i started searching on macbooks and i decided on Pro. But now after i've read about quad core rumors on this thread i'm still thinking about it. I want to buy it now but at the same time i don't want to regret after i buy it because of new updated macbook rumors.

Real question is the updated macbook pro worth to wait ?

Thanks for info about keyboard tho. Now I think i'm pretty sure keyboard is okay!

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
The 2017 nTB is an okay machine and it's what I have. I did opt for a custom build with better specs and by purchasing it recently, I saved over $350 on it over regular price.

Apple is obsessed with thin and light and while that's fine in an Air it's not really needed in a Pro model but Apple did it anyways at the cost of ports and a better KB. I personally don't have an issue with the shallow keys but some do.

Buy a 2017 now on sale and save a bundle OR wait for the 2018's and pay full price. That's a tough call and I was faced with the same choice a few months ago. I could have easily waited for the 2018 as I didn't need a new machine but I decided to take the savings. I do not need any of the rumored spec and speed improvements the 2018's may offer so I snagged a 2017 instead.

Either way, I'd highly suggest Apple Care+ with the 2017 AND the 2018. You only have 60-days now to purchase it and there is no guarantee that Apple will solve the KB failures in the 2018. I doubt we will have a grasp on whether or not Apple solved it within that 60-day time frame so you'd be well served to buy AC+ on the 2018 as well...

If you don't need the additional power the 2018's are rumored to offer then buy a 2017 now or wait for the 2018 to be released and sang a 2017 then..

Good luck with whatever you decide...

Reactions: csurfr and ParaShot

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
I want to start learning how to code with Swift and i need a computer since my old Samsung is getting older and older now. So i started searching on macbooks and i decided on Pro. But now after i've read about quad core rumors on this thread i'm still thinking about it. I want to buy it now but at the same time i don't want to regret after i buy it because of new updated macbook rumors.

Thanks for info about keyboard tho. Now I think i'm pretty sure keyboard is okay!

No one knows for sure re:MacBook Pro. Apple did a spec bump in June of 2017. Will there be a new one in 2018? Maybe, maybe not. If they DO release an update, it would probably be at WWDC in June.

The event next week is focused on education, so you might see that new
MacBook Air, or a 13” MacBook with higher specs.

Honestly though the Apple product line is all over the map when it comes to portables. You have the Air at 999 or what not, the MacBook at 1299 the entry level pro at the same price, and they go up from there.
[doublepost=1521486389][/doublepost]
Either way, I'd highly suggest Apple Care+ with the 2017 AND the 2018. You only have 60-days now to purchase it and there is no guarantee that Apple will solve the KB failures in the 2018. I doubt we will have a grasp on whether or not Apple solved it within that 60-day time frame so you'd be well served to buy AC+ on the 2018 as well...

You CAN actually get AppleCare within a year still. It is AppleCare+ that is required within 60 days. The only difference is accidental damage isn’t covered under AppleCare.

Reactions: ParaShot and Queen6

ParaShot

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 15, 2016
Ankara, Turkey
The 2017 nTB is an okay machine and it's what I have. I did opt for a custom build with better specs and by purchasing it recently, I saved over $350 on it over regular price.

Apple is obsessed with thin and light and while that's fine in an Air it's not really needed in a Pro model but Apple did it anyways at the cost of ports and a better KB. I personally don't have an issue with the shallow keys but some do.

Buy a 2017 now on sale and save a bundle OR wait for the 2018's and pay full price. That's a tough call and I was faced with the same choice a few months ago. I could have easily waited for the 2018 as I didn't need a new machine but I decided to take the savings. I do not need any of the rumored spec and speed improvements the 2018's may offer so I snagged a 2017 instead.

If you don't need the additional power the 2018's are rumored to offer then buy a 2017 now or wait for the 2018 to be released and sang a 2017 then..

Good luck with whatever you decide...
Thank you so much about your thoughts. I simpy think as you do. It's really hard decision but do i need that kind of spec update? Honestly, i don't think i do but you know we as humans want always the better one and even though we can't afford it we still want it... So i think i will go with 2017 one as i find a sale on it. I have to search about apple care since i dont know anything about it in my country. It seems like i need to buy AC+ too for that kind of keyboard issues.

Reactions: raqball

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
Thank you so much about your thoughts. I simpy think as you do. It's really hard decision but do i need that kind of spec update? Honestly, i don't think i do but you know we as humans want always the better one and even though we can't afford it we still want it... So i think i will go with 2017 one as i find a sale on it. I have to search about apple care since i dont know anything about it in my country. It seems like i need to buy AC+ too for that kind of keyboard issues.

Don’t forget to check out the Apple Refurb store. I picked up a 2.9/16/512/Radeon 560 4gb for about 400 off retail. Same machine, just a white box. Plus (in theory!) all of the problems should be fixed.

Edit: and if you’re in a state with no sales tax, it honestly can’t be beat. Not here though! 10% in Seattle.

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
I have to search about apple care since i dont know anything about it in my country. It seems like i need to buy AC+ too for that kind of keyboard issues.

An out of warranty KB repair is $700 in the US so Apple Care is a necessity on these new machines. Here in the US Apple Care + was $269 for my machine and extends the warranty to 3-years. I saved over $350 on my 2017 so that paid for the plan and left me with a little left over...

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
An out of warranty KB repair is $700 in the US so Apple Care is a necessity on these new machines. Here in the US Apple Care + was $270 for my machine and extends the warranty to 3-years. I saved over $350 on my 2017 so that pad for the plan and left me with a little left over...
And that right there was why I recommended the refurb store (or a good sale like you found).

ParaShot

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 15, 2016
Ankara, Turkey
Don’t forget to check out the Apple Refurb store. I picked up a 2.9/16/512/Radeon 560 4gb for about 400 off retail. Same machine, just a white box. Plus (in theory!) all of the problems should be fixed.

Edit: and if you’re in a state with no sales tax, it honestly can’t be beat. Not here though! 10% in Seattle.

Unfortunately i don't live in the US. And here in Turkey we don't have a Refurb store -i don't know why- so they don't sell refub products here. I would be really happy to buy a refurb 2015 or later mac pro but in this case i have to buy the newest one...

An out of warranty KB repair is $700 in the US so Apple Care is a necessity on these new machines. Here in the US Apple Care + was $269 for my machine and extends the warranty to 3-years. I saved over $350 on my 2017 so that paid for the plan and left me with a little left over...

That is amazingly expensive wow.. But the case is i don't know if we have AppleCare in Turkey. I searched on internet and Apple's website but i couldn't see it. We have 2 years of warranty by Apple- they say- but i don't know what's include and what is not. So i will talk with them about apple care and will find a solution hopefully.

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
Unfortunately i don't live in the US. And here in Turkey we don't have a Refurb store -i don't know why- so they don't sell refub products here. I would be really happy to buy a refurb 2015 or later mac pro but in this case i have to buy the newest one...

That is amazingly expensive wow.. But the case is i don't know if we have AppleCare in Turkey. I searched on internet and Apple's website but i couldn't see it. We have 2 years of warranty by Apple- they say- but i don't know what's include and what is not. So i will talk with them about apple care and will find a solution hopefully.

If Apple is telling you that you have a two year warranty, then everything should be covered with the exception of accidental damage. Just like the standard warranty.

Reactions: ParaShot

ParaShot

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 15, 2016
Ankara, Turkey
If Apple is telling you that you have a two year warranty, then everything should be covered with the exception of accidental damage. Just like the standard warranty.
Yeap they say like that 2 year warranty. So everything seem perfect for now. I will just talk with them about warranty to make sure and apple care. I think i made my decision.

Thank you so much for everything! I really appreciate it.

Reactions: csurfr

Dozer_Zaibatsu

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2006
North America

So, I was also considering purchasing a PC. And to compare apples to apples (so to speak) check out the reviews for the Dell XPS 7th gen vs the Dell XPS 8th gen chips. The reviews for the new XPS 9370 suggest that the quad-core chips are very much worth it, giving you two extra cores that show up in all the benchmarks. They did do a body update on the XPS, too, so you do have some difference in cooling and other functionalities which should improve the performance slightly.

So, if Apple does put updated chips in MacBookPros this year, I expect it should be a decent upgrade. For me, part of what I do will be spinning up a small VM or two, and keeping remote connections open, a quad-core would be very useful.

That XPS itself seems to be aiming to compete with the MacBook's form factor and portability as well. I personally think Windows 10 is a really solid OS. I genuinely like Windows 10. So why I am thinking of getting a Mac in three months rather than an XPS right now?

I find that (in my broad, general, anecdotal experience) Macs squeeze more efficiency out of low power operations. (The XPS 8th gen 45-watt chip just barely beats out the MacBookPro's 7th gen 15 watt chip, which says a lot.) Apple tends to always put better graphics, such as Iris, in their integrated-graphics laptops. I'm hoping we can see some Vega integrated graphics, but my guess is that it's probably not going to be in the 13-inch, unless "integrated Vega" is going to replace Iris altogether.

Dozer_Zaibatsu

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2006
North America
Unfortunately i don't live in the US. And here in Turkey we don't have a Refurb store -i don't know why- so they don't sell refub products here.

I'm curious about your attraction to the Mac platform. As far as I understand it, Macs are for more popular in the Anglosphere than the rest of the world. Has that changed in the last few years? Is a Mac a more boutique computer in Turkey?

Obviously, given that Macs have less sources, it makes them far less competitive on price, I have to imagine. Boatloads of cheap computers from China can be dropped off anywhere in the world. But Apple has direct retail control (or directly-contracted retail control) of any Mac.

Also, does the alphabet have something to do with it? I'm always curious as to how people using non-Latin alphabets find different OSes and their language support.

Or do you mainly communicate in English? I assume you probably have to know a lot of English, or German, to be a coder no matter where you are in the world.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area

You should update your profile to include your location. People can then make more appropriate suggestions/comments.

ParaShot

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 15, 2016
Ankara, Turkey
I'm curious about your attraction to the Mac platform. As far as I understand it, Macs are for more popular in the Anglosphere than the rest of the world. Has that changed in the last few years? Is a Mac a more boutique computer in Turkey?

Obviously, given that Macs have less sources, it makes them far less competitive on price, I have to imagine. Boatloads of cheap computers from China can be dropped off anywhere in the world. But Apple has direct retail control (or directly-contracted retail control) of any Mac.

Also, does the alphabet have something to do with it? I'm always curious as to how people using non-Latin alphabets find different OSes and their language support.

Or do you mainly communicate in English? I assume you probably have to know a lot of English, or German, to be a coder no matter where you are in the world.
Actually Macs were always popular in Turkey but they were so expensive. Price didnt change at all but the way people look at macs have been improving day by day. They understand how usefull they can be and how stable it is.

Also we have latin alphabet in Turkey with some extra letters like “ı ğ ü ş ö ç”. But since we have the official Apple store and support we have Turkish Siri, keyboard so it makes the apple products more popular and usable in Turkey.

Yes, if you want to know how to code or basicly any other things about technology, coding etc. you should know English very well. I’m not saying i’m like native but i think i’m decent enough to search and learn something.

And my attraction to the macs is just love. I love Apple products i dont have enough sources to buy every one of them in Turkey because of huge Turkish Lira/$ currency and taxes. So i have only one shot to buy something and i am really searching for it to buy the right one .

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.