Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thestugots

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 10, 2022
In the market for a MBA/MBP and I see a few refurb standard config/BTO's on offer on the website.

Eager to hear how well people get on with the Apple Certified refurbished macbooks.

...I always wonder if Apple sells brand new surplus stock under the guise of refurbished. I can only dream!

Last edited:

balticgreen

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2004
Maryland
Great machines. I've bought refurbished Macbooks, iMacs, iPads, and iPods (back in the day). Never had an issue with any of them and all of them looked brand new.

It's assumed, if not known, that Apple does sometimes sell surplus stock as refurbs, but you can never be sure what the backstory is on any given machine. Many refurbs are retail returns; someone bought it, used it briefly but didn't like it, and returned it within the return period. Some are products that were initially defective in some way but they'll replace the logic board or whatever they need to do to fix it and then sell it as a refurb. All refurbished products are tested individually, which is not done for brand new retail stock, so some people would argue that refurbs are actually more reliable than retail.

Rich B22

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2019
Not a notebook person, but I have purchased a number of refurb desktops on the Apple site as well as elsewhere. Never had a problem. YMMV

Misheemee

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2020
I bought a refurb 27 iMac in 2009 which is still going strong today… wouldn’t hesitate to buy another one

tomstone74

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2021
Got my Refurbed 14" 8/14/32G/1TB from Apple Online Store (Austria) this week. It looks and feels completely brand new. No sign of anything being used etc ... Battery capacity is at 100% with a cycle count of 6.

It's a beauty and beast of a machine. Cool and dead silent so far, although just mostly installing stuff until now.

Reactions: G5isAlive

TechRunner

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2016
SW Florida, US
Adding my voice to the crowd, I've bought several refurbished devices over the years from Apple, and they've all been great. And they come with the same warranty as a new Mac, so I wouldn't hesitate.

Reactions: G5isAlive

Deedeekay

Cancelled
Aug 18, 2021
I had a good experience with my 2017 13” MBP as a refurb. I did have an issue with the keyboard but that was a known issue with the model and was covered under a special repair program. It actually worked out better for me because replacing the keyboard meant also replacing the battery (apparently they’re soldered or something) so the resale value of it ended up better :p

The way I see it is that these are models that have actually undergone more stringent checks than a regular machine coming off a line.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
One scenario to watch out for would be getting a MBP of a certain vintage that has had it's internal SSD replaced by a third-party one and has NOT had it's firmware updated so as to run more recent versions of macOS.

posguy99

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2004
One scenario to watch out for would be getting a MBP of a certain vintage that has had it's internal SSD replaced by a third-party one and has NOT had it's firmware updated so as to run more recent versions of macOS.
Pointing out that wouldn't be relevant for a refurb purchased from Apple. You certainly wouldn't want to buy a "refurb" from Amazon, for instance.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
Pointing out that wouldn't be relevant for a refurb purchased from Apple. You certainly wouldn't want to buy a "refurb" from Amazon, for instance.
Good point.

I'd recommend Apple's own refurbished products without any hesitation. The only perceivable difference is the somewhat plainer packaging and the lower price.

Third-party refurbished products are a whole other story, and I'd make sure to buy only from a reputable dealer and make sure there's some kind of warranty because you just don't know who "refurbished" it or what quality of parts they used.

For instance, Woot! had a really great price on refurbished AirPods Max a couple weeks ago, but when I read through the reviews there were people who'd experienced hardware failures just a few months in, and after the 30 day warranty had expired.

Reactions: thestugots

thestugots

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 10, 2022
appreciate you guys!

after some research and reading the consensus on this forum, i did it - ordered a M2 MBA 16GB/256GB yesterday and it just arrived! Absolutely pristine, not a blemish or flaw in sight. I was nearly dissuaded by the stigma but so glad i took the chance, i'm over the moon 😊

TechRunner

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2016
SW Florida, US
appreciate you guys!

after some research and reading the consensus on this forum, i did it - ordered a M2 MBA 16GB/256GB yesterday and it just arrived! Absolutely pristine, not a blemish or flaw in sight. I was nearly dissuaded by the stigma but so glad i took the chance, i'm over the moon 😊
Congrats! Enjoy your new MBA.

tcphoto1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2008
Nashville, TN
I bought my '15 MBP Refurbished in June '16 and it's been great. I'll likely buy a refurbished M1 in the near future, the Intel units will likely not receive much support in the future since Apple is producing their own chips now.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Great machines. I've bought refurbished Macbooks, iMacs, iPads, and iPods (back in the day). Never had an issue with any of them and all of them looked brand new.

It's assumed, if not known, that Apple does sometimes sell surplus stock as refurbs, but you can never be sure what the backstory is on any given machine. Many refurbs are retail returns; someone bought it, used it briefly but didn't like it, and returned it within the return period. Some are products that were initially defective in some way but they'll replace the logic board or whatever they need to do to fix it and then sell it as a refurb. All refurbished products are tested individually, which is not done for brand new retail stock, so some people would argue that refurbs are actually more reliable than retail.
Besides getting thorough testing, they also get different packaging and even a different serial number. You can tell if it's a refurb just by looking at the serial number.* Not that there's anything wrong with that, but I thought that might be interesting for some to note.

Anyhow, the only reasons I don't usually buy refurbs now is because I get edu pricing which often can be close and because my credit card doesn't provide extended warranty on refurbs, only on new purchases (either retail or edu).

*I bought a used MacBook Air off Kijiji and had a look through the OS and About This Mac. Seeing the serial number format, I knew it was a refurb. So I asked the seller who lied right to my face saying it was not a refurb. :p Conveniently, the packaging (which would say refurb on the box) was also missing. I didn't care though since it was in as-new condition, and we were actually meeting at her house, not some sketchy parking lot somewhere.

Last edited:

CalMin

Contributor
Nov 8, 2007
As long as you buy from Apple:

...they are good as new, come with full warranty, and are eligible for AppleCare etc.. They even have that factory fresh smell. :) The box is different which may or may not matter to you.

3rd party resellers could be cheaper but may vary in terms of how 'new' the machine is and also will likely have a chunk of time off of Apple's OEM warranty.

AZhappyjack

Suspended
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
In the market for a MBA/MBP and I see a few refurb standard config/BTO's on offer on the website.

Eager to hear how well people get on with the Apple Certified refurbished macbooks.

...I always wonder if Apple sells brand new surplus stock under the guise of refurbished. I can only dream!

I’ve bought several macs through the Apple refurbished store - Mac minis, iMacs, iPads, an iPod and an M1 MBA. I have never had an issue with any of them…

edubfromktown

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2010
East Coast, USA
Stellar. I've probably purchased close to 50 (from the Apple US refurbished site) for myself, family, friends, colleagues and at work. None have been a problem.

JmanInSF

macrumors member
May 11, 2010
I doubt I’ve purchased 50 refurbs, but I’d say I’ve purchase a dozen. Never had a problem. Just bought a 14” M1 max today. 2tb. 32gb. I think I saved $600 or so.

uller6

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
I love refurbished MacBooks. I remember back in ~2012 I purchased a refurbished 2011 17" MBP with 8 GB RAM and 256 SSD. The machine arrived with 16 GB RAM and 512 SSD for the same price! Apple let me keep it.

rj7766

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2011
I just stacked veteran discount on top of awesome refurb price.... tax plus apple care still ~$200 less than new price... now the wait

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
Inspect the screen carefully. There is a chance a refurb was returned due to dead pixels or other screen imperfections. (There is a chance of the same on a new one, but less so)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.