Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ModestPenguin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 5, 2006
OKC
I'm looking for some places to frequent to learn more about the world of digital photography. I have a couple of sites I know about and like but am looking for some more places.

The places I visit:

Stuckincustoms.com
dpreview.com
The Strobist
Kenrockwell.com

Name your favorites for MR!

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
ive been going to Fred Miranda for years now. Really the only place I visit. I will go to dpreview for reviews, but cannot stand the layout of the site as far as the forums go.

Fred Miranda is a great site to buy gear as well, as i have bought and sold there, plus there are a lot of pros that regularly post there.

ProwlingTiger

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2008
I will go to dpreview for reviews, but cannot stand the layout of the site as far as the forums go.

Fred Miranda is a great site to buy gear as well, as i have bought and sold there, plus there are a lot of pros that regularly post there.

Ditto. Hate the stupid forum layout of DPreview so much so that I don't go there regularly, save for reviews.

My main sites are PoTN, FredMiranda, and CanonRumors.com for my daily dose of "What will be next?!"

Suspended
Dec 29, 2007
Not too much else I could add.

DPReview strictly for news (forums are nonsense)
POTN for forums
Fred Miranda for equipment
pbase and flickr for samples

If you're a Canon person, Lightrules on pbase did some great lens tests: http://www.pbase.com/lightrules

also canonrumors.com, 43rumors.com (and there's nikonrumors.com) -- mainly for entertainment.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Here's my least favorite:

kenrockwell.com

That guy is is a legend in his own mind.

Tell me about it.

Has pics of his kids on his homepage and just about every other page...
:rolleyes:

WTF - is his site written with MS Word (save as .html)? :eek:

Seems like a great site for Soccer Dads to find out more about Nikon dSLR's... :rolleyes:

El Cabong

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2008
Kr

Fred Miranda and sometimes photography-on-the-net. I can't deal with Dpreview's forums or Ken Rockwell's... nonsense.

Ken Rockwell's site is amazing. It keeps pulling me back in, to see what new kind of idiotic b.s. he's spewing. The site's poor design adds to the charm (although "design" implies forethought, and that's a bit of a stretch when it comes to Mr. Rockwell). Also, he plugs the D40 like it's the cure for cancer.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
Ken Rockwell's site is amazing. It keeps pulling me back in, to see what new kind of idiotic b.s. he's spewing. The site's poor design adds to the charm (although "design" implies forethought, and that's a bit of a stretch when it comes to Mr. Rockwell). Also, he plugs the D40 like it's the cure for cancer.
WHAT? It's not?!? LOL!

I like how he says you only need a D40 (completely ignoring the issue with some AF lenses), then runs an entire site showing the world what a gearslut he is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.