Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rugmankc

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2014
Heart Rate Variability--Google it

Higher is better, like 40's and 50's

Mine is teens to low 30's. But, I have serious heart issues. Usually higher when sleeping, hence more relaxed.

It is one of the values that heart monitors like Defibrillators will monitor.

jess222

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2010
CA

Mine is teens to low 30's. But, I have serious heart issues. Usually higher when sleeping, hence more relaxed.

Is this info available on the watch? I've only ever checked my resting, sleeping, and workout HR...

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010

60 ms. So I’m good then?

winterny

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2010
If you are paying attention to HRV, I highly recommend using the "breathe" app for at least 2, preferably 5 minutes.
1) It will get a much more accurate reading than if it is randomly testing throughout the day
2) this type of meditation will help relax your brain/nervous system, which will help improve your HRV.

I was measuring values in the 20s and 30s before, and now measure values over 100 after using Breathe for a few nights in a row for 5 minutes each. It might be a placebo effect, but I also feel like I am more 'aware' during the day since I have started (admittedly, only a week or so ago).

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
Sounds good. At 19ms I better call an ambulance. I was hoping I am not the only one so low...

Is that really bad? I have never understood this number. Think it is the hardest one to grasp what it actually means.
[doublepost=1541127320][/doublepost]
If you are paying attention to HRV, I highly recommend using the "breathe" app for at least 2, preferably 5 minutes.
1) It will get a much more accurate reading than if it is randomly testing throughout the day
2) this type of meditation will help relax your brain/nervous system, which will help improve your HRV.

I was measuring values in the 20s and 30s before, and now measure values over 100 after using Breathe for a few nights in a row for 5 minutes each. It might be a placebo effect, but I also feel like I am more 'aware' during the day since I have started (admittedly, only a week or so ago).

How do you use Breathe for 5 minutes. You meant using it 5 times in a row?

winterny

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2010
Is that really bad? I have never understood this number. Think it is the hardest one to grasp what it actually means.
[doublepost=1541127320][/doublepost]

How do you use Breathe for 5 minutes. You meant using it 5 times in a row?

Launch the breathe app but do not start it.
Turn the crown to adjust the time.

And, the lower the number, the more "stress" your body is under, where stress is both physical and mental.

The numbers are 'personal', and can't be directly compared from one person to another, but rather should be analyzed in a trend, ie "HRV is much lower than usual today, perhaps I should take a break."

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
Launch the breathe app but do not start it.
Turn the crown to adjust the time.

And, the lower the number, the more "stress" your body is under, where stress is both physical and mental.

The numbers are 'personal', and can't be directly compared from one person to another, but rather should be analyzed in a trend, ie "HRV is much lower than usual today, perhaps I should take a break."

Gotcha.

oeagleo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2016
West Jordan, Utah
Somewhere in this forum, there is/was an article link that described HRV, what it is, (actually, it's the distance in MS between the peaks in your heartbeat), and what it means. You can also use the value to determine if you're ready for strenuous exercise, or should pull back a bit. You can tell if you've got a bit of "under the weather" coming on, and lots of things. I'd really like to find that article again, as I currently use for "Serious exercise" a Garmin Fenix 5+, as it shows recovery time, and training load. These things can be determined through HRV, but I don't know how to do that. If I could figure out what the Recovery time/Training load, or even EPOC was with the Apple Watch I'd probably sell the Fenix, as the Heart rate with the AW is much more accurate, as is the GPS. I need to use an external HR strap to get decent HR values with the Fenix, but not the Apple Watch. If anyone can help, I'd appreciate links and stuff. Maybe even an app?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.