Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steveOooo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 30, 2008
UK
Often, a client or presenter will want to watch back a 'take' on the camera - problem, the speaker on my camera(s) (gh4, gh5, ex3 etc.) are usually quite poor - only solution is to put their ear to the camera (and no seeing the screen, only one person can hear), or to wear headphones - which is not ideal as i prefer to use in ear plugs (versus bulky headphones). Handing over a ear-infected ear plug is not ideal..

Any solution? I was thinking off plugging a 3.5 portable speaker into the headphone jack of the camera for louder-playback. Maybe split the headphone jack out using a splitter too, so i wont have to plug / unplug all the time.

Something very small that perhaps could be attached to a handgrip / tripod leg, ideally can withstand being used whilst handheld (versus static on a tripod). Can probably just attach with a velcro strap, elastic band or screw onto a camera cage.

iluvmacs99

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2019
Often, a client or presenter will want to watch back a 'take' on the camera - problem, the speaker on my camera(s) (gh4, gh5, ex3 etc.) are usually quite poor - only solution is to put their ear to the camera (and no seeing the screen, only one person can hear), or to wear headphones - which is not ideal as i prefer to use in ear plugs (versus bulky headphones). Handing over a ear-infected ear plug is not ideal..

Any solution? I was thinking off plugging a 3.5 portable speaker into the headphone jack of the camera for louder-playback. Maybe split the headphone jack out using a splitter too, so i wont have to plug / unplug all the time.

Something very small that perhaps could be attached to a handgrip / tripod leg, ideally can withstand being used whilst handheld (versus static on a tripod). Can probably just attach with a velcro strap, elastic band or screw onto a camera cage.

Perhaps the JBL Clip 2/3 bluetooth speaker with a carabiner and integrated 3.5" audio cable as it is very small, waterproof and sometimes you can get it very cheap like for $20 (US/CDN/pound) at TJX Maxx in the states or Winners in Canada or TK Maxx in the UK https://www.tkmaxx.com/uk/en/search...e-desc&facets=stockLevelStatus:inStock&page=0. I use Jam Audio classic, but it's a little bigger than JBL clip and audio is much louder.

Reactions: steveOooo

steveOooo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 30, 2008
UK
Perhaps the JBL Clip 2/3 bluetooth speaker with a carabiner and integrated 3.5" audio cable as it is very small, waterproof and sometimes you can get it very cheap like for $20 (US/CDN/pound) at TJX Maxx in the states or Winners in Canada or TK Maxx in the UK https://www.tkmaxx.com/uk/en/search...e-desc&facets=stockLevelStatus:inStock&page=0. I use Jam Audio classic, but it's a little bigger than JBL clip and audio is much louder.

Thanks - i actually got this https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B073WTW428/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Which looks like its even smaller than the one you linked too, but i think 5 hours playback versus 10.

and it works great - usually i would be in a studio where a client needs to hear playback, so will use a 3.5 extension cable and place it somewhere.

I have a 3.5 splitter (saves unplugging headphones all the time) going from the camera - one to my headphones, and one i can plug / unplug when i need to playback on the portable speaker - all great as long as im not recording two tracks in camera - using the amazing beachtek passive stereo speaker.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.