Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

When do you usually sell your current IPhone?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AlexJ092

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 15, 2013
We are now in August and I can’t help but think that now might be the best time for me to sell my IPhone 12 Pro Max. We all know once the next IPhone gets announced the value of our current IPhone plummets. I have an old IPhone 8 Plus in a draw and it might be interesting to use that for a month ?. My question is, when do you usually sell your IPhones?

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
Sell mine to a friend or family member, can't be bothered dealing with scammers and time wasters online, they get the phone once I've got new phone in my hands. 😂

Might give the 13 a miss this year, not seeing anything exciting compared to my 12 pro max.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Usually my mother gets mine. Though she's currently on the second gen SE and mine is am 8 so not much point in that. Might give it to my dad if he doesn't upgrade his first gen SE before I get a new one, but I expect to keep it at least until iPhone 15 comes out (straight counting, not considering potential for S naming)

Reactions: AlexJ092

rambo47

macrumors 65816
Oct 3, 2010
Denville, NJ
With 4 iPhones in the family I always have a few on hand for emergencies and to loan to friends. Every couple of years I sell a couple on Swappa. But I still have my wife's first iPhone, the original Mk1Mod0 in it's box.

Reactions: AlexJ092

CMoore515

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2015
Des Moines, IA
Just before the announcement or I pass it down.

My 12 Pro Max will be going to my Dad and I'll trade in his(my old) 11 Pro Max this year.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I don't sell. I keep. And if I had happened to get rid of it because I switched carriers or for whatever reason some times I buy another one. I even own phones I never actually used on a carrier, such as my 3GS, my 4 and my 4s.

Still have my 5 and my 6s+ is my secondary phone. I also have the phone I was using in 2009 to 2012 (HTC Touch Pro) and the phone I got in 2019 (Pixel 3a XL).

If I see someone (family, friend or person in need) I'll pass one of these phones off to them - assuming it'll work on their carrier of course.

Ethrem

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2009
I use mine for a trade in after a year or two although I did sell my 8 Plus to Buy Back Boss rather than trade it in since they were offering more than Apple was on a trade in.

KrazyBear15

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2011
South Dakota
During a normal year I usually sell my current iPhone the last week of August for max value and use an older device for a few weeks until the next iPhone releases. Usually only costs a few hundred dollars to upgrade after selling the current device, not bad!

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
I don’t sell my iPhone. I just keep it and let it collect dust. Is that bad 😂
I'm the same, I just keep my old iphones (6s+, 8+ and SE2), but I do keep them charged to maintain the battery. I like to have them as back ups. My missus is terrible with her phones, she just abuses them beyond belief, always on insta, tick tock etc destroying the battery, or loses her phone (dropped her old Galaxy S10 in a lake lol 🤣), so I let her use my older iphones if needed.

AlexJ092

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 15, 2013
I usually do pass down my iPhones but this year everybody is happy with their current phones so looks like I’m going to have to sell/trade in. I have my older 8 plus sitting in a draw which will come in handy if i sell my 12 pro max soon as I get the highest value possible

JUCJ85

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2011
I usually pass mine down to my Mom or Sister, but they have XS's, so idk what I'll do with my 3yr old XS Max if I upgrade if they have a 1TB Pro Max, likely keep it as a backup, or get it unlocked, see how much I can get off like Swappa, doubt AT&T will give me what some online sites will cash wise.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
I never sell any of them. Got 5 older iPhones. By the time I'm ready to unload one (4S) it's worthless.

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
Surprised so many people give their phones away. Apparently I’m selfish ?. I traded my XS for a 12 that I got for a lot less than retail last May. I don’t get the phone at launch when price is peak and second hand value is all over the place. I‘ve also tried selling two months before the announcement and getting a temporary phone, but this requires a lot of effort.

I‘ll probably do the May trade thing again. Maybe 2-3 years from now, but who knows.

IBMlover

macrumors member
May 4, 2021
Austria
I only sell the old phone when I have the new phone used several weeks and I know that there are no issues with it. If I sell it immediately I don't have any backup device if something happens.

Yes, I know there is Apple Care express service but still - in the worst case I would be 2-3 days without a working iPhone.

iterva

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2013
Sweden
We are now in August and I can’t help but think that now might be the best time for me to sell my IPhone 12 Pro Max. We all know once the next IPhone gets announced the value of our current IPhone plummets. I have an old IPhone 8 Plus in a draw and it might be interesting to use that for a month ?. My question is, when do you usually sell your IPhones?
Yes. Now is a good (best?) time to sell.

Some years i sell my old device (iphone or Android) and others i pass it down in the family or rarely i keep it as a spare. I usually do not put too much thought into when i sell since resale value where i live is quite good for newer Apple devices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.