Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

henryseiden

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 24, 2009
When will this model go into Deep Sleep from the time you enter Sleep mode (⌘ menu>Sleep)? I am having a problem waking a certain monitor on my dock from sleep and want to test the time like I experience in an over night situation while I actually observe the issue. Running OS 10.14.5 (Mojave).

So can anyone tell me when deep sleep occurs (or if it occurs with my Energy Settings shown), so I can test the wake-up of my monitor? More info in my signature line. Screen shot of Energy Saver Settings...

In case you're wondering, my issue is with a 4K Dell monitor connected through a CalDigit TS3+ dock to my MBP.

Last edited:

Honza1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2013
US
The only way I know this can be identified is via command line. Here is my example :
>pmset -g
System-wide power settings:
Currently in use:
lidwake 1
autopoweroff 1
standbydelayhigh 86400
autopoweroffdelay 28800
proximitywake 0
standby 1
standbydelaylow 10800
ttyskeepawake 1
hibernatemode 3
gpuswitch 2
powernap 0
hibernatefile /var/vm/sleepimage
highstandbythreshold 50
displaysleep 5
sleep 1
acwake 0
halfdim 1
tcpkeepalive 1
disksleep 10

to understand, read
>man pmset
it has explanation. You need mainly:
SAFE SLEEP ARGUMENTS
hibernatemode supports values of 0, 3, or 25. Whether or not a hibernation image gets written is also depen-
dent on the values of standby and autopoweroff

For example, on desktops that support standby a hibernation image will be written after the specified
standbydelay time. To disable hibernation images completely, ensure hibernatemode standby and autopoweroff
are all set to 0.

hibernatemode = 0 by default on desktops. The system will not back memory up to persistent storage. The sys-
tem must wake from the contents of memory; the system will lose context on power loss. This is, historically,
plain old sleep.

hibernatemode = 3 by default on portables. The system will store a copy of memory to persistent storage (the
disk), and will power memory during sleep. The system will wake from memory, unless a power loss forces it to
restore from hibernate image.

hibernatemode = 25 is only settable via pmset. The system will store a copy of memory to persistent storage
(the disk), and will remove power to memory. The system will restore from disk image. If you want "hiberna-
tion" - slower sleeps, slower wakes, and better battery life, you should use this setting.

Please note that hibernatefile may only point to a file located on the root volume.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.