Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

5Grecs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2022
It’s ridiculous, I’m a producer/video editor and need more ports on my MBP M1 Pro max. Unless I spend $1600 on a display then only I can get 4 more ports. We need a 4 port adapter for MacBooks And not lame after market OWC brands

Last edited:

friedmud

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
Again not after market brands

In over 10 years of selling machines with Thunderbolt, Apple has never sold a Thunderbolt dock. So you have a long wait. (i.e. forever)

Just because it’s not Apple - that does not mean it’s ******. Tons of reputable makers of Thunderbolt docks out there.

I have two Thunderbolt 3 docks that work beautifully: power my MBP, give me tons of ports, ethernet, and plenty of monitor connections.

fwmireault

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2019
Montréal, Canada
Unless I spend $1600 on a display then only I can get 4 more ports
I don't know exactly what you're looking for, but on the Studio Display, there is only one Thunderbolt port (which can only be used to connect to the computer), the other ones are regular USB-C, so you can't connect Thunderbolt accessories on them. If you want a Thunderbolt dock, I don't think Apple will ever sell one, and there are plenty of good third party option. Maybe you had bad experiences with one in particular, but companies in the likes of OWC or CalDigit make good docks for all budgets and needs.

Reactions: friedmud

5Grecs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2022
In over 10 years of selling machines with Thunderbolt, Apple has never sold a Thunderbolt dock. So you have a long wait. (i.e. forever)

Just because it’s not Apple - that does not mean it’s ******. Tons of reputable makers of Thunderbolt docks out there.

I have two Thunderbolt 3 docks that work beautifully: power my MBP, give me tons of ports, ethernet, and plenty of monitor connections.
that’s because thunderbolt 3/usb-c hasn’t been normalized since recently. iPhones now use usb-c, The new mac studio comes with 6, the display comes with 4.

Last edited by a moderator:

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
that’s because thunderbolt 3/usb-c hasn’t been normalized since recently. iPhones now use usb-c, The new mac studio comes with 6, the display comes with 4.
Thunderbolt 3/usb-c has been around for years along with Mac computers with USB-C/thunderbolt ports. If you are referring to the thunderbolt 4 specification, yes that is new, but isn't really much of a change.

iPhones now use usb-c,

As above they have lightning connectors.

the display comes with 4.

Actually it comes with 1 thunderbolt, and 3 usb-c without thunderbolt.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
Lightning to usb-c

If you are referring to the connector on the other end of the lightning cable used for charging the iPhone that is irrelevant. It is just a connector. It can be USB-C or USB-A, but neither connector supports thunderbolt as the phone doesn't. I use both A and B with my phones as both support charging and USB data. USB-C is a designation for both (1) the connector type and (2) what the cable will transmit (power, display support, data, thunderbolt). Very confusing it is as different cables support different things.

friedmud

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
Just noticed that the OP now shows as “Suspended”. Must have been trolling somewhere else too…

dallegre

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2016
Again not after market brands

These aren't aftermarket products since there is not really an OEM equivalent (although Dell/HP etc do make some okay TB docks). They're unique products and they basically all use the same internal controllers, which is exactly what Apple would do if they made a TB dock.

ETA: Didn't read far enough, oh well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.