Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MadDoc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 25, 2005
UK
Just getting into dSLR photography. My 55-200mm lens came with a lens hood and I'm just wondering when you should use one.

Thanks,

MadDoc

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
Just getting into dSLR photography. My 55-200mm lens came with a lens hood and I'm just wondering when you should use one.

Thanks,

MadDoc

It never hurts to use it, but any time you are outdoors and worried about glare from the sun it should be used.

MadDoc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 25, 2005
UK
Great,

So when should you not use a hood is the next question?

termina3

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2007
TX

Definitely when the hood isn't made for the lens: telephoto hoods, for example, will have extreme vignetting on wide-angle lenses.

I'll let more experienced people address any other instances.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
Great,

The point being made was, there is never a reason that you wouldn't want to use a proper lens hood - other than for aesthetic "sticking out in a crowd" reasons.

It doesn't show up in the pictures (that would be a stupid design) and they can only help you get away from sun glares.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Great,

When it gets in your way and not using it doesn't make the results unacceptable. When you lose it and don't want to pay some idiotic price for a new one (or run around with a wacky looking paper one) and it doesn't make your results unacceptable.

Ferinstance- my 400mm has a two-part hood. I never have the outer part on it because the lens won't fit in my camera bad with the outer hood on it, and I've only regretted not having it once in about 4 or 5 years.

If you wear the right kind of hat, you can get away with a lot less hood if you shoot from a tripod and you're not trying to pan too.

iSamurai

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2007
ɹǝpun uʍop 'ǝuɐqsı&#
I was recommended from many guys when to use the lens hood.

Well, here are some basics:
  • anytime outdoors, even if you think you don't need or you think you're not shooting direct into the sun. So put the hood on outdoors, it helps with the photos not looking slightly discoloured.
  • when you're using flash and you know there's some objects in the sorrounding reflecting light.
  • when you are shooting amongst many people with flashes on.
and if you haven't already (because I know some people don't), put the hood onto the lens the other way round so in case you need it you won't need to dig it out of your bag or you've left it at home.

M@lew

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
If you're using direct flash, it's generally a good idea to remove the hood so that it doesn't cause a flash shadow (i.e. blocking out part of the light from the flash).

That only really applies when using the built-in flash. But yes, usually lens hoods create a "shadow" when using the built-in flash + a wide angle.

thr33face

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2006
let me post my lens hood example:

lenshoodip9.jpg

HooHar

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2007
Nottingham, UK
I NEVER use a lens hood and it's not done my photography any harm.
I always use a tripod though, which leaves my hands free to shield the lens from the light of the sun when appropriate.

That's what's great about photography - so many different ways to accomplish your goals...
:)

psingh01

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004
Also, a hard lens hood provides a fair bit of protection against accidental impacts on the front lens element.

doh...I wish I was using a hood just a couple of weeks ago :( my filter took the impact, now I can't get the filter's ring out of my lens lol

bld44

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2007
Wow, okay. I wasn't sure if that was taken with an older camera or not. Thanks for the comparison.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.