Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EEzycade

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2018
Mesa, Arizona
Being disabled, I am itching to try out Catalina and the Voice Control Feature. When would you recommend I try the beta. Now? Wait for Mid-July to early-August? Thanks. Speaking of betas, I saw a thread earlier about someone complaining that some apps were broken in beta 2. LOL. Obviously he doesn't understand betas.

8CoreWhore

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Tejas
You could do it now... but you have to consider the impact a buggy OS would effect the important apps in your life. If you have enough room on your hard drive, you can "dual boot" it onto a seperate "partition". That's what I did. So I now have Mojave and Catalina. https://lifehacker.com/the-safest-way-to-install-the-macos-catalina-beta-1835836662

This method lets the 2 OS's share the available space... so long as you stick with APFS for both. Nice.

EEzycade

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2018
Mesa, Arizona
You could do it now... but you have to consider the impact a buggy OS would effect the important apps in your life. If you have enough room on your hard drive, you can "dual boot" it onto a seperate "partition". That's what I did. So I now have Mojave and Catalina. https://lifehacker.com/the-safest-way-to-install-the-macos-catalina-beta-1835836662

This method lets the 2 OS's share the available space... so long as you stick with APFS for both. Nice.
I did that and am now running Catalina in the separate volume. Thanks! How do I boot back into the volume with Mojave?

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
BACK UP YOUR DATA, including data in iCloud, before running this beta.

This includes the situation where you create a separate volume. If Catalina has mere access to your data, you should have a separate backup of it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.