Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
I am on the verge of buying iView Media Pro. If apple doesn't begin supporting the K100D in the next month or so, I'll have no choice but iView, which would stink considering the fact that aperture is a superior app!

Aperture

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2006
PA
Why not make an Automator workflow so you can automatically have Image Capture pull the pics off your K100D then auto. import them into Aperture? That is what I would do if I was in your situation. Oh, & I never knew MS owned iView?

glennp

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2006
Washington, DC
Why not make an Automator workflow so you can automatically have Image Capture pull the pics off your K100D then auto import them into Aperture?

That would work with JPGs but won't help with RAW files which is may be what the OP was referring to.

I don't have any inside info but as RAW support is added as part of OS updgrades, if it's not part of the rumored 10.4.9 update, it won't happen until Leopard is released.

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
That would work with JPGs but won't help with RAW files which is may be what the OP was referring to.

I don't have any inside info but as RAW support is added as part of OS updgrades, if it's not part of the rumored 10.4.9 update, it won't happen until Leopard is released.

right. so are we relatively sure that aperture will support it in the near future? if RAW support for the K100D is coming in Leopard, I'll hold off...

satty

macrumors 6502
I am on the verge of buying iView Media Pro. If apple doesn't begin supporting the K100D in the next month or so, I'll have no choice but iView, which would stink considering the fact that aperture is a superior app!

In some cases, i.e. when Aperture - or to be correct Mac OS X* - supports another model of the camera maker, you can "cheat" and change the raw.plist to import your files:

Trick Aperture into supporting .dng files from unsupported cameras

I tried it with my D-Lux 3 and it works. It 's a little bit a pain in the bottom, because I have to convert the raw files first to png. Hopefully Apple supports the D-Lux 3 rather sooner than later.

* The raw support is not Aperture specific, but OS wide, includes Preview, iPhoto etc.

balofagus

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2006
Ontario, Canada
You could use Lightroom for the time being also. It supports the K100D PEF's and since it's in Beta is still free, then buy Aperture once it supports the K100D.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
- You could start with SILKYPIX Free Version
- I am seeing reports of *SD* SanDisk Extreme III cards that also come with the Capture One voucher, so I would go to some shops and ask about this (make sure they let you check the box contents before buying it). [Ahh, forget it. The K cameras are not supported.]

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
silkypix free is almost as bad as pentax browser UI wise. at least it's darker:eek:

i should also mention that I really like the way bridge 2.0 looks. will i have any way to use it with PSE 4? thanks again,
wmmk

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
ok, did the hack, and am now reinstalling the aperture trial. just a note-the DNG version of the file I happened to convert is REALLY washed out compared to the .PEF. odd...
edit: I tried saving as DNG from pentax browser, and preview won't even open it. any software other than adobe DNG converter that will accept .PEF? thanks again,
will

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
update: I can now get RAW images originally taken with the K100D (yay!), but can't get full size previews, which I believe is actually a DNG converter problem. Anyway to solve this? Also, where can I get info on getting started? I have an inkling that there is more to this $300 app than a browser, an adjustments panel, and a way to make photosites and books.
Thanks again,
wmmk

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.