Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aaronr007

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2016
Washington State
Hello everyone, first post here, (sorry if this is in the wrong section). I'm about to buy a Airport extreme but then I realized the last time it was updated was 2013...I am not in that much of a hurry to buy it so i can definitely wait, I tried to find rumors on the internet but didn't have much luck. Does anyone here have any ideas?

I know the updates that apple would maybe implement this year would probably not make me regret my decision to buy now but I'm curious.

(I bought a macbook pro 15" last year about a week before they updated it so I'm trying not to repeat that again haha)

MacPro2014

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2013
Hello everyone, first post here, (sorry if this is in the wrong section). I'm about to buy a Airport extreme but then I realized the last time it was updated was 2013...I am not in that much of a hurry to buy it so i can definitely wait, I tried to find rumors on the internet but didn't have much luck. Does anyone here have any ideas?

I know the updates that apple would maybe implement this year would probably not make me regret my decision to buy now but I'm curious.

(I bought a macbook pro 15" last year about a week before they updated it so I'm trying not to repeat that again haha)

I believe you are pretty safe to go ahead and get an Airport Extreme now. If I am not mistaking...the next wifi standard would be ad or ax. Some rumors have these standards appearing in 2016/2017 but as long as computers and other devices are using ac it will not cause Apple to jump quickly. The official ratification for the standard is rumored to be 2018/2019.

It is possible hard drive changes are made if you are looking at the Time Capsule versions but I wouldn't worry about that either. As long as you have additional hard drives or can expand storage to the device the current systems are capable. I think Apple has other devices that are more important to update in their lineup.

LiveM

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2015
Just go ahead and enjoy it now and sell it later for 90%, which probably won't be until you get at least one device with whatever Wi-Fi standard is next.

Life is too short to miss out on such low-cost pleasures.

Reactions: aaronr007

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm about to buy a Airport extreme but then I realized the last time it was updated was 2013
Apple goes for very long stretches of time between its peripheral updates and there's really no reason for apple to update the current flavor, i.e., no new 802.11 standard to embrace.

I'd say get it now

aaronr007

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2016
Washington State
I believe you are pretty safe to go ahead and get an Airport Extreme now. If I am not mistaking...the next wifi standard would be ad or ax. Some rumors have these standards appearing in 2016/2017 but as long as computers and other devices are using ac it will not cause Apple to jump quickly. The official ratification for the standard is rumored to be 2018/2019.

It is possible hard drive changes are made if you are looking at the Time Capsule versions but I wouldn't worry about that either. As long as you have additional hard drives or can expand storage to the device the current systems are capable. I think Apple has other devices that are more important to update in their lineup.

Thank you very much for your response, I will pull the trigger now thank you! You are right, I doubt the airport express and extreme are high on the list of items to update.
[doublepost=1452069610][/doublepost]
Just go ahead and enjoy it now and sell it later for 90%, which probably won't be until you get at least one device with whatever Wi-Fi standard is next.

Life is too short to miss out on such low-cost pleasures.

This is very true, life is short haha I'm gonna get one now, thank you!

Reactions: LiveM

norsemen

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2007
Actually iPhone 6S and 6S Plus, the new Apple TV and iPad Pro added 802.11ac wave 2 support. Which points to an imminent upgrade of Airport Extreme.
[doublepost=1452093288][/doublepost].

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.